Subject: Stunning Style rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received Reign of Cthulhu in the mail. Even though I should be studying for tomorrow, I was too giddy to not go and open it up, and remove the plastic wrapping on the cards and punching out the tokens... maybe setting up the entire board...

But anyway, I must say the art work and style for this game is awesome. I love the miniatures (can't wait to paint them), the board has a dark menacing and slightly grimy look (which is appropriate for the era). My favorite styling though is the backs of the Great Old One cards; they look good enough to make a tattoo out of! I also really like the aqua/green color that accents everything. That color weirdly fits the theme, to me anyway.

Only thing missing was for the box insert to have an unsettling geometry that is both concave and convex simultaneously.

So yeah, good job on the artwork and making the game look thematic! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are liking it. Those Z-man guys really did a great job with the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaatmal wrote:
Glad you are liking it. Those Z-man guys really did a great job with the art.
Yep! I wish the artists, and specially the people that come up with the miniature sculpts, gave themselves more credit; I had to look on the bottom of the box in small text to see who worked on the art. If I am unsure about whether a game will be mechanically fun, the art is typically the deciding factor for me.

Luckily Reign of Cthulhu is right up my alley in terms of art, theme, and mechanics so this was an instant buy

Edit: While further inspecting the box, I realized you are the designer! Can't believe I didn't notice lol. It's really cool that you keep in touch with your fan base, props to you and thanks for the great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to agree, the game is absolutely gorgeous. I especially like how 'spooky' everything looks with the dark, ominous color scheme, highlighted with the spectral shades of blue. Even the rulebook is covered with art.

We also have Eldritch Horror in our collection, and between the two, Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu is much more thematic at a glance. It's probably my favorite game by look right now. (Actually my favorite game right now, but I have a super soft spot of Pandemic, and Cthulhu games!)

Props to Kaatmal, and everyone else involved with it, it's fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Found out about this game by chance this morning when someone listed the best Lovecraft games in the Facebook group. Got it on order with my LGS now... It does look gorgeous, so Katmaal, tell everyone well done.

Just as an aside, I think it's always worth seeing if it can be easily adapted for solo play. I know in this case it's just a case of playing two investigators, but if it says on the box "1-4 Players" it's always better for us mainly solo players. I look forward to playing this with my son though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The art work is smashing! Love the box cover especially. Thinking of putting a dark wash over all the figures to really bring out the sculpts. I also adore the soft sheen of the board itself - looks so classy. Hats off to all involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree wholeheartedly. I've been drooling over the thematic art and graphic design of this game. All the cards, the board, the box and even the rulebook look great.

My copy arrived on Tuesday but I've not had chance to play it yet! I've only opened it up and lovingly admired the artwork. I MUST get it played this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M (Board Game Beacon)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:
I also really like the aqua/green color that accents everything. That color weirdly fits the theme, to me anyway

I totally agree - while on first look I thought the cultist and Shoggoth colour was bizarre but very soon came round to thinking it is fantastic and gives them a slightly ghostly and ethereal look, which really fits in well with the theme.

My family received this game yesterday but are keeping it hidden from me until my birthday in November - it'll be a struggle to hang on for that long!! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
argentetbury wrote:
zappshmeow94 wrote:
I also really like the aqua/green color that accents everything. That color weirdly fits the theme, to me anyway

I totally agree - while on first look I thought the cultist and Shoggoth colour was bizarre but very soon came round to thinking it is fantastic and gives them a slightly ghostly and ethereal look, which really fits in well with the theme.

My family received this game yesterday but are keeping it hidden from me until my birthday in November - it'll be a struggle to hang on for that long!! soblue
That's crueler than any eldritch torment! Hopefully your birthday falls on a Monday so you get to atleast play it a few days early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M (Board Game Beacon)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:
argentetbury wrote:
zappshmeow94 wrote:

That's crueler than any eldritch torment! Hopefully your birthday falls on a Monday so you get to atleast play it a few days early.

Haha! Just checked and it's on a Friday! I'll try and keep myself occupied with regular Pandemic until then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.