Subject: Keep or replace original 1844 and/or 1854 ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I have the original 1844 (from Helmut Ohley), and 1854 from DTG (the OO version with DTG production).

Have the new games changed enough that I should consider replacing my original(s) with this new version?

I'm quite happy with both the originals, as-is. Mostly I'm asking this on the merits of the respective gameplay changes.

It sounds like 1854 may have changed the most (but, some changes may have been for mostly pragmatic reasons, rather than substantive improvements).

If you have original versions of either/both games, will you always defer to the new version to play? I'm interested in opinions from either the 1844 or 1854 point-of-view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the originals but from where I sit, unless they actually screwed something up in the new edition the obvious answer is... shelf space!

Both games in one box is an absolute no brainer.

Especially when you could easily fund the purchase by selling the earlier editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
I have the first editions and minorly prefer the presentation for the original '44 and find the new '54 to be different enough to consider them distinct games. As such I'll be keeping all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original 1854 is quite different from the new version. In particular, it has these lovely tiles:

(note in particular the wonderful green tiles with two separate cities.)

I'm not making any claim as to which is the better game, but they are certainly different in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmb
Speaking for '54, I miss those middle cities badly, also some other tiles. I understand the decision not to incorporate them in the new version, but they are the reason why I'll not part with my original game.

I would part from my '44 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Thanks all!

PzVIE wrote:

Why this preference for the new 1844?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
Thanks all!

PzVIE wrote:

Why this preference for the new 1844?

It hasn't changed that much (apart from removing a couple of hexes), and those few changes are alright for me. Contrary to 1854, 1844 still feels like the original 1844. IMHO. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
If I understand correctly, in neither case (1844 or 1854) is anyone saying "the updates make this new version a better game".

That's what I was hoping to learn... thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all three and I would say if you have the original two, don't bother. Nothing is added and personally I would table either of the older ones if I was hosting a game. Mind you, I've made wooden tokens with colour labels for both games so that helped from their original states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
jrebelo wrote:
Mind you, I've made wooden tokens with colour labels for both games so that helped from their original states.

Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
If I understand correctly, in neither case (1844 or 1854) is anyone saying "the updates make this new version a better game".

I think the new 1854 is a more accessible game. If I were teaching brand-new players, I'd start with the new 1854 first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I think the new 1854 is a more accessible game. If I were teaching brand-new players, I'd start with the new 1854 first.

Just as compared to the original 1854 or even other titles that are generally recommended to those new to 18xx altogether like '46, '89, and '30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

Just as compared to the original 1854 or even other titles that are generally recommended to those new to 18xx altogether like '46, '89, and '30.

Just as compared with the original 1854.

My preferred teaching game for 18xx is 1846.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a list of tiles that were in the original 1854 that aren't included in the new version and any tiles in the new version that weren't in the old?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really missed the Cool Factor of the clear tunnel tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I really missed the Cool Factor of the clear tunnel tiles.

Whoah. Only just noticed those in the pic above after you mentioned them!

Are there tunnels in the revised edition as well, but not clear, or were they struck from the gameplay altogether?

I'm sure I could make a pnp version of them without too much difficulty... hm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
The new tunnels are narrow cardboard strips. They're visually jarring, but they suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
The new tunnels are narrow cardboard strips. They're visually jarring, but they suffice.

I see a Litko order in my future.

Perhaps these would work nicely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I don't think there are any sharp turn tunnels in the new 1854. Those would have been handy last game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.