Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I've seen so far points to Mechs vs Minions being a huge hit. The component quality is phenomenal, the price point is ridiculously good, and several of the reviewers that have had hands on time with the game are already saying this could make their lists for best games of the year. The hype on this is already huge and for me personally the game's gone from obscurity to "Shut up and take my money" overnight.

Those at Riot definitely have a good thing going here and it's clear they know how to appeal to more than just their video gamer fans. Sure, it's speculation at this point, but does Riot intend to become a mainstay in the board game industry or is this more of a "one-and-done" kind of project?

From what's been shown so far, Riot knows how to do board games and I personally would love to see what more they might have to offer down the road in either expansion content or new game ideas. I'm personally hoping this isn't the last us analog gamers see of Riot. I think they have a bright future here if they choose to stick around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
If you listen to the Secret Cabal interview with Chris from Riot you'll get a full answer, but basically he said this is currently intended as a one-off.

You have to bear in mind the kind of revenue they can generate from this is peanuts compared to their main line of business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We approached this as a one-off. That was our mentality through all of it. We don't have anything else in the works.

I guess the one thing I will say about Riot, though, is that we try to listen to players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
We approached this as a one-off. That was our mentality through all of it. We don't have anything else in the works.
CMoN can breathe easy now...

Riot Kades wrote:
I guess the one thing I will say about Riot, though, is that we try to listen to players.
...or not .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, if you are already a successful game company, why would you continue to make boardgames, even if the only one that you make is hugely popular. There are more money to be made in video games business.

I doubt if we will ever see a billion dollar board game company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogdan Vre
msg tools
I would love to see more LOL themed games, especially involving darker, more serious characters, of which there are many. Or maybe a base game which can be played with any combination of champions, sold individually or in packs, as mini extensions. Some combinations would obviously work better than others, just like in the video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect we will also see a bunch of fan made scenarios and boards. If you are going to bring the PC gaming crowd which love game mods to board gaming then they will probably mod the board game also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.