Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After I finished my video for The Gods War I threw away the print and play files (like Sandy asked) since I wasn't sure if I would back the game or not at that time. Now that I have backed I would like to print everything out again and check out the expansion factions and the updated rules. Is there any way to do that or perhaps is that even in the plans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's currently in the plans to update the PnP or release the Empire box for PnP. However I could be totally wrong. If I am please blame Arthur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:
I don't think that's currently in the plans to update the PnP or release the Empire box for PnP. However I could be totally wrong. If I am please blame Arthur.

See what happens to people who follow instructions? They get punished, remember lawbreakers, you are the ones who get the rewards!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Semmen
msg tools
linkthestink wrote:

I can see that adding the standees for the Empire box would not help fulfillment of the Kickstarter promises but what about at least releasing updates to the rules as you go? That shouldn't cost much and would get you free play-testing. Even if you couldn't use the outside play-testing for balancing it would at least help catch ambiguities in the rules, typos, etc.

And if you put them somewhere like Github (but with access limited to backers) you could track changes and review suggested changes by backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren23 wrote:
linkthestink wrote:

I can see that adding the standees for the Empire box would not help fulfillment of the Kickstarter promises but what about at least releasing updates to the rules as you go? That shouldn't cost much and would get you free play-testing. Even if you couldn't use the outside play-testing for balancing it would at least help catch ambiguities in the rules, typos, etc.

And if you put them somewhere like Github (but with access limited to backers) you could track changes and review suggested changes by backers.

If I could hit the thumbs up button 100 times I would...

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well from our perspective the PnP was to get people an idea of Gods' War and see if they wanted to play it at all and back our kickstarter.

Now that the kickstarter is over there is little point to update it. People that will buy it will buy it the updated files haven't changed it drastically enough to whim someone into buying it.

Also it takes away valuable time for designing and refining our future games. while we put together the PnP. We have a bunch of unfulfilled kickstarters and doing this would probably make some of those miss shipping out by Chinese new year and thus delay it by at least a month probably more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:
Well from our perspective the PnP was to get people an idea of Gods' War and see if they wanted to play it at all and back our kickstarter.

Now that the kickstarter is over there is little point to update it. People that will buy it will buy it the updated files haven't changed it drastically enough to whim someone into buying it.

Also it takes away valuable time for designing and refining our future games. while we put together the PnP. We have a bunch of unfulfilled kickstarters and doing this would probably make some of those miss shipping out by Chinese new year and thus delay it by at least a month probably more.

Well my plan was to shoot another Video for my Youtube channel showing the expansion stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case send us an email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:
In that case send us an email.

FYI, i work on a update PBF manager with HD image of units that will integrate all units from all the expansions. As this PBF is a Excel file, the image inside can easily used to build a PnP version of all the expansions. But be patient, i haven't a lot of time and before i am focused on :
- finalizing my deck of event cards for CW (maybe 1-3 hours of work ahead);
- producing a HD PnP of Cthulhu Wars based on HD photos of painted minis (believe me it will impress you ...) (15% of units done)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Semmen
msg tools
linkthestink wrote:

I assumed that the rules in the PnP were work-in-progress, not something put together just for the PnP. If I'm wrong then that changes the calculus. But if I'm right then how much time does it take to occasionally e-mail your backers the current version of the rules?

Your backers (half of whom are at Hero level or above) have a stake in seeing the game emerge with as few flaws as possible. From the forums here you can already see rules questions. At my first PnP game one person commented that the game didn't seem ready for prime-time after our third run-in with some language we found unclear. I'd hate to have that happen with the final version.

(I'll elaborate on my GitHub comment in a separate reply, as using it or something like it is an orthogonal concern.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Semmen
msg tools
My mention of GitHub was just a suggestion to use version control to track changes and versions.

A simpler solution would be to just turn on "Track Changes" on the Microsoft Word document. This way, if you send out a new version (or backers send back a version with suggested language changes) it's easy to locate where changes have been made. The "version number" would just be the "Date modified" time-stamp on the file.

The only thing this doesn't give you which a proper version control system would is an easy way for multiple people to independently suggest changes to the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have final wording and such. So this was basically thrown together with current wording and hasn't been edited by Arthur. Balance is always happening. Even Cthulhu Wars isn't completely balanced based on win rates.

When you have an asymmetric strategy game it's kind of hard to balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.