Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've lost like 15 times on Anduin. I enjoy the game but I still can't win. And I heard that the next mission, Dol Goldor, is even harder. I want to handicap the game so I can at least have a CHANCE to win.

I have an idea and I'd like feedback or even alternative suggestions. My idea is called HANDICAP X, where X = minus X starting threat, plus X starting cards and plus X resources tokens to assign to any hero(s).

I thought that I could play Anduin again at Handicap 2, using easy mode rules and see how I do.

I could replay missions trying to lower my handicap each time with an eventual goal of beating each mission on "normal mode".

Maybe someone else has another idea too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Every scenario has an easy mode... Just removed the gold bordered cards from the encounter deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin requires you to learn how to build a deck. Tweak until you beat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest checking out the Progression Series videos and the Hall of Beorn website. Do a search for those names along with 'Journey Along the Anduin' and you'll find plenty of tips to help you get over the hump. Hang in there, you'll get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two easy ways to "handicap":

1. Play Easy mode with certain cards removed as indicated in the rules.
2. Start the game with a resource on each hero. This way you start with 2 resources per hero, for a total of 6, instead of 3.

The Core set is very tuned for at least a 2 player experience and with 4 the quests are almost trivial. While LotR:LCG is a fantastic solo game, it's still fundamentally designed to be played with more than 3 heroes for a majority of the quests.

I personally find the extra resource handicap to be the most beneficial, because then losing becomes more a matter of not play correctly as opposed to just getting a few unlucky pulls in a row. I'd rather lose having played a bunch of cards, instead of just dying on turns 1 or 2 staring at a bunch of almost useless cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Anduin requires you to learn how to build a deck. Tweak until you beat it.

That is brutal but good and honest advice.

You also made me laugh. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you're giving LOTR a try! It's the best game in my collection

Firstly, play however feels fulfilling to you.

Secondly, this is a good resource:
https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T W
msg tools
I'm a big fan of modifying the game (i.e., cheating) to ensure you are having fun. Easy mode is certainly the best way to start.

Giving yourself a 4th hero is another nice way to ease the difficulty curve. Heroes are the most fun part of the game to me so an extra one is always welcome. Start with threat based on your three highest heroes.

While some of the other commenters are right that ultimately you do want to improve your deck building and playing skills, it is also true that many of the quests can be absurdly hard, especially when played solo and especially when played with a limited card pool. In that case it seems perfectly reasonable to tweak the game to make it more enjoyable, especially if you are playing primarily for story/theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.