Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Poulin
Canada
Quebec
QC
flag msg tools
First question:

One rule says you can't put dice of your color on an action if you have already done it with your color in this turn. My question, does it apply to travelling ?

If so, it is probably extremely tough to travel enough to put all 9 trading posts, no ?

Trying to understand this one...

Second question:

If you put dice 3 and 6 on travelling where someone already put dice there, but you decide to travel of 2 spots only, you pay 3 coins or 2 coins for an occupied action spot ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule applies to travelling too. (Have you noticed the black dice? How about two of them on your board...)

You pay the lowest number of pips. Even if you only use 1 travel action, you;d still have to pay 3 coins in your examples, plus the cost of travelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB McMichael
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only put one set of your dice on the travel spot. To travel 9 times you will need to complete contracts with the free move action, or visit the 5 gold action.

You always pay for the lowest number of pips on your dice, not the action you take with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the second part of your first question, yes it is hard to put down all 9 trading posts (if you're not Rubruk). But it can be done. You can use black dice to take the travel action again (and again). The 5 space on the gold action will give you a travel. Many contracts will give you a travel on completion. And there are travel actions to be had from both the large city bonuses and large city cards. In the expansion, Gunj Kokochin also has an ability that allows you to travel again. So yes, it's hard, and if you want to do it you need to spend a lot of effort and resources, but it's definitely possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ursasmar wrote:
You can only put one set of your dice on the travel spot. To travel 9 times you will need to complete contracts with the free move action, or visit the 5 gold action.

You can also use two black dice additionally to your color dice to use the traveling action. You can get a big city bonus of one movement. And you can randomly get a free movement from a gift token (with the expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Poulin
Canada
Quebec
QC
flag msg tools
Thanks to all of you for your answers.

So I guess it is indeed pretty tough because in addition to your bonus travel moves here and there, you have to count them to get moving exactly the right amount of spaces to end on cities and towns often enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Poulin
Canada
Quebec
QC
flag msg tools
Orntt wrote:
You can use black dice to take the travel action again (and again).

But i guess the black dice can be used only once per turn too, right ?

And what if someone else uses black dice before you ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kovatch
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FullHousePat wrote:
Orntt wrote:
You can use black dice to take the travel action again (and again).

But i guess the black dice can be used only once per turn too, right ?

And what if someone else uses black dice before you ?

The rule as written is very specific... "The black and white dice do not count as one of the player colors (blue, yellow, green, red). Therefore, a player who obtains these dice may use them to perform an action a second time in a round, even if dice of his player color already occupy that action space."

Further down on the page: "Note: Any number of the black and white dice may occupy an action space in the same round."

I took this from the unofficial translation because I don't have the official rules handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Poulin
Canada
Quebec
QC
flag msg tools
clear enough, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can, IN THEORY, travel up to three times if you had the coinage to support it:

Once with your own dice.
If you can snag four black dice, OR three black dice and you're Mateo Polo with the white die, you can do it another two times.

It's highly unlikely that that scenario would play it, but it's possible.

But bear in mind that there are several non-travel spot ways to travel, as was pointed out.

If you have a character that supports heavy travel (Niccolo and Marco Polo with split travelers, etc) it's doable.

The key thing to remember about dice placement is the golden rule:

City spaces can only be used once per turn, period.
Board spaces can only be used once per turn BY YOUR COLOR DICE, and any number of times by any other color of dice.
The 3 coins space can be used any number of times and does not count as an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
and any number of times by any other color of dice.

So black dice can be placed on top of black dice, again and again, regardless of who played them? We've been treating black dice as just another color and abiding by the color rule. We've been playing them wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exactly,

black dices (and the white die) are not players colours and can be stacked on each other freely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is an important clarification. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
singler3360 wrote:
This is an important clarification. Thank you.

No problem. That's why I wanted to mention it. Black dice are magic.

You could, for example, in theory, repeatedly get the khan's favor.

It also bears worth consideration that it can influence WHICH die you are using at a given time -- you're always way better off placing your own color first assuming the pips are what you need, because you can end up taking an action twice if you really need to by putting a black die on top of your existing one.

Oh, another note that people sometimes confuse -- they DO count for turn order when placed. So if I place two dice of my color to travel, and then we continue, and two other people travel, and then as my last action I use two black dice to travel, and no one else follows me, I do claim start player. Even though the last dice weren't my color, they were placed by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.