Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Argent with the small expansion and read the rules. I would like any suggestions for set-up that would enhance the game. Basically, I want the game to give that "great first impression".

If anyone can suggest a layout for a 2 player game and a 3 player for those that have played games at the level of Lords of Waterdeep, it would be most appreciated.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic setup from the rule book using A side rooms, mages, and candidates. Keep things simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if it is an option maybe play with 3 for your first game. its not that complex a game but there is a lot to keep track of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Adam Lucas' suggestions with one exception: use the B side of the Council Chamber. The A side has a limit of one mage per player, which caused some confusion and awkward take-backs in my first couple games. Plus the B side is so much more interesting than the A side. The B stands for blood bath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about using the Summer Break expansion for 2 player? 3 player? This is where you draft mages one by one each round. I was just worried about all the info players have to manage when they get started. Too many rooms is is likely not too good either, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hoffman
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard the summer break scenario works well for a first game, and makes everything ramp up slowly. Seems like the people who have used it say it's worked nicely.

Argent can be a little overwhelming for some with all the things you can do, especially by the end of the game. So being a little restrained to start and slowly adding more may be useful for your group.

You only play with a set number of rooms depending on the number of players. If I remember correctly it's 8 rooms for 3 players, 10 for 4, and 12 for 5. Which I guess would mean if you wanted to do 2 player you would want 6 rooms?

I'd definitely go with the suggested setup in the rules for a first game. There is a good balance of the resources so somethings won't be as harshly limited or nonexistent. The absences of certain things can happen if you set it up random which is also part of what makes random setups interesting, but not good for a first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
HyperionHuxley wrote:
I agree with Adam Lucas' suggestions with one exception: use the B side of the Council Chamber. The A side has a limit of one mage per player, which caused some confusion and awkward take-backs in my first couple games. Plus the B side is so much more interesting than the A side. The B stands for blood bath.

Agreed, especially with 3-player - the 3-player standard setup is very short on ways to get Marks. Some players don't care, and just have fun with the engine, but players who care about formulating a plan for victory can find this very frustrating, as it makes the game feel random to them. Using Council Chamber B-side gets more Marks into the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think I've ever played with Council Chamber A. Even with new players. Your mileage may vary. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

I don't think I've ever played with Council Chamber A. Even with new players. Your mileage may vary. devil

council chamber B is so much more fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Council Room B feels to me like the game can be won or lost either there or in the Library. With Council Room A it feels like the fighting is over the other rooms. That's my experience anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Ok, maybe just a little...
badge
Love me. Hate me.
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidPD wrote:
I just got Argent with the small expansion and read the rules. I would like any suggestions for set-up that would enhance the game. Basically, I want the game to give that "great first impression".

If anyone can suggest a layout for a 2 player game and a 3 player for those that have played games at the level of Lords of Waterdeep, it would be most appreciated.

cheers

Here's a website that helps you setup your University and game. It offers a couple of "Standard Setup" as well as a random (but legal) University.

http://ventersconsulting.com/BoardgameHelpers/Argent.aspx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.