United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Aim High!
badge
Smoking Owl, LLC Software
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow 'Frontiers' players,
I am struggling with some aspects of Borg Cube assaults and am requesting some help. Specifically:

1. According to the rules, the Borg cube is defeated once all defenders are defeated. I am not seeing any mention of Borg cube tokens themselves - are they present in combat as well? If not, what occurs to Borg cubes when there are no "defenders" (e.g. Red Borg cube Level 1)?

2. Do Borg cube defender starbases follow the standard rules for undefeated enemies from the rule book pg 10? "If you fail to defeat a randomly drawn Starbase Token, then discard the token. The next time a player attempts to attack this location, new Enemy Tokens of the appropriate type will be drawn."

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. "Borg cube defenders" include borg cube tokens. For example, Red Borg cube level 1 has one defender token: a borg cube token. These are treated in exactly the same way as any other defender token. When the rules say "borg cube is defeated when defenders are defeated", they mean "borg cube figure", not "borg cube token". Whenever the rules say "borg cube" (i.e., without adding "token"), I think they always mean "borg cube figure".

2. No, they do not get redrawn, but note that they do in fact follow standard rules for undefeated enemies. I think you misunderstood the rule you quoted from p.10 (it could be clearer). Basically, by "randomly drawn", they mean "randomly drawn during combat" (I am guessing they omitted that clarification because it was expected to be clear from context.) Enemy tokens for ships, starbases, borg cubes, and H-class planets get placed when the location is revealed (or, in case of H-class planets, when you explore the planet), not as a result of initiating combat. Therefore those tokens remain on the board if undefeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rswayz
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Aim High!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok! Thanks for the clarification on all 3 aspects. So, if you reveal an enemy starbase, regardless of the reason why (starbase map tile, borg cube defender, etc.), that token will remain on the board (or borg reference card) and in play until defeated (or the game ends), true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - February 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Rswayz wrote:
Ah, ok! Thanks for the clarification on all 3 aspects. So, if you reveal an enemy starbase, regardless of the reason why (starbase map tile, borg cube defender, etc.), that token will remain on the board (or borg reference card) and in play until defeated (or the game ends), true?

Yes, except when a Starbase is drawn as a random enemy when attacking another player's Starbase, or when attempting to decimate a Class M Planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rswayz
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Aim High!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thank you. Really enjoy the game, btw - well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - February 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Rswayz wrote:
Great, thank you. Really enjoy the game, btw - well done!

No problem, thanks, Ryan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.