Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Mythos Ability: A massive conspiracy sets back the investigation. Discard all Clue tokens from the board.

I am wondering if this is clue tokens in locations and on the Feds Raid Innsmouth Track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Ones control the game systems! Going by the Unofficial Law of Arkham Horror, "When in doubt, the Old Ones choose the most harmful option for the players", I would discard all unclaimed Clues in Locations (bad for players) but not from the Feds Raid Innsmouth Track (would be helpful for players). I also would not remove any Clues used to track the progression of Rumors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentzen wrote:
The Old Ones control the game systems! Going by the Unofficial Law of Arkham Horror, "When in doubt, the Old Ones choose the most harmful option for the players", I would discard all unclaimed Clues in Locations (bad for players) but not from the Feds Raid Innsmouth Track (would be helpful for players). I also would not remove any Clues used to track the progression of Rumors.
Discarding Clues from the FRI track is *bad* for the Investigators. Very bad. Discarding Uprising Tokens from the Deep Ones Rising track would be good (it's what you're trying to achieve by filling the FRI after all!) but that's not what's happening.

This particular Mythos is actually an Innsmouth Horror expansion card, so I'd say that "all Clues" means exactly that. I'd probably take the opposite view it if were a base game card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My immediate response would have been "no, only in town." But there's a terminology for this: "discard all clue tokens in Arkham. Since "in Arkham" already covers expansion boards, the change of wording to "from the board" is interesting.

Of course, it would have been nice if the card had clarified that it applies to the FRI Track too, especially since it's from the expansion that uses the FRI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears I have stumbled onto a point of ambiguity. I assume we would agree that if I had a rumor card with clues on it, those would be unaffected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with that: rumor cards aren't "on the board." Clue tokens are just used as bookkeeping counters on things like rumors. With the FRI track, clues are counters but they also thematically fit as clues themselves: they're evidence for the feds.

And with evidence destroyed and the feds' investigation getting set back, I'd say it makes sense that they're removed from the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna ask, and post the official answer when I get one.

As for tossing my 2 cents on the topic, I'd say clues in town, Innsmouth is difficult enough, and losing all clues available is a kick in the guts big enough not to want also the clues from the track to be removed. But I agree the wording seems to imply a far massive conspiracy.

As said, I'm gonna ask, and then share the official answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
I'm gonna ask, and post the official answer when I get one.

As for tossing my 2 cents on the topic, I'd say clues in town, Innsmouth is difficult enough, and losing all clues available is a kick in the guts big enough not to want also the clues from the track to be removed. But I agree the wording seems to imply a far massive conspiracy.

As said, I'm gonna ask, and then share the official answer

Asked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. That is twice I see you now. I appreciate your post on the Zhar thread. Thanks for following up on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
agentzen wrote:
Discarding Clues from the FRI track is *bad* for the Investigators. Very bad. Discarding Uprising Tokens from the Deep Ones Rising track would be good (it's what you're trying to achieve by filling the FRI after all!) but that's not what's happening.

This particular Mythos is actually an Innsmouth Horror expansion card, so I'd say that "all Clues" means exactly that. I'd probably take the opposite view it if were a base game card.

My mistake - yeah, I think I was thinking of the Deep Ones Rising track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
Cool. That is twice I see you now. I appreciate your post on the Zhar thread. Thanks for following up on this.

I'm rarely on the Arkham boards, but when possible, I try to help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Offical answer arrived. I posted it in a different thread, with "official answer" as keywords in the title so that it's easier in 1, 5, 10 years from now find what's official and what's not

Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, Julia! Not only did you ask the question and post the answer, but you included reasoning for both interpretations and semantics considerations. Since the Arkham design team has changed over the years and we've had rushed and incorrect rulings before, it's good to plead your case when asking about an ambiguity, to help get the FFG contact on the same page and prevent a hasty and potentially disastrous ruling. Well done.

For those who don't want to click the link, the answer is:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the clues on the Feds track ARE discarded as well!

Note that this ruling can implicitly be applied to failing Kingsport's Cover-up rumor too, as the wording is the same for that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.