Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Section 6.5.1.7 says that called indirect fire must be targeted directly on a spotted unit. Is this also true for smoke, illumination, and FASCAM missions? I can't find anything in the rules that provides an exception for these - maybe I missed something - but it seems as if it would be reasonable to target unoccupied hexes with these types of missions. (Maybe not so much for illumination, but for smoke or mines I would think you'd often want to put them in front of the enemy rather than necessarily right on top of him.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, that's a very good question. In a game like MBT, there must be a balance stuck between what seems realistic and what is reasonable in game terms. That's how optional rule 7.37 Artillery Reconnaissance by Fire came about.

Yes, you're correct that rule doesn't have any provision for other fire mission types other than GP. With so much intelligence about where the forces are on the map, even with the use of the Hidden Unit rules, it's just too easy to call artillery to the exact correct position on the map.

That makes smoke and FASCAM fire missions particularly effective beyond what I feel is reasonable. That's why they're not included in rule 7.37.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.