Subject: Goblin Infestation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played a solo knight game and had a question about the variant "Goblin Infestation". The card says "Compare your strength to the ambusher's strength to determine its result." The card then lists:
Goblins (Normal): STR2
Goblins (Tough): STR3
Monster: Draw a monster, see AMBUSH

Am I supposed to draw a monster card and add that monster's strength to the strength of the goblins for my desired difficulty? The card referred to my ambusher (singular), so I thought it would be just the monster I was attacking instead of both the monster and the goblin hoard, but then I wasn't sure when I was attacking the goblin hoard or the monster. Also, the card doesn't say anything about adding the combined strengths of the goblins and the monster so I wasn't sure what to make of that... if that is the case, perhaps it would be simpler to just say something like "Draw a monster and +2 its strength for normal play or +3 its strength for tough play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those three lines are the difficulty level options. You choose one of those to use when you start, and stay at that level for the entire game.

In solo you can pick whichever you like. All of the non-solo player variants that use the card recommend a level to use, but you're free to switch to a different level if you want to increase or decrease the difficulty for the Knight player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what difficulty level is the monster then? There are difficulty levels assigned to the 2STR & 3STR goblins, but none assigned to the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
So what difficulty level is the monster then? There are difficulty levels assigned to the 2STR & 3STR goblins, but none assigned to the monster.

The monster strength is listed in the Ambush section of each monster card (so it changes for each ambush).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyle said those 3 lines are the difficulty levels. So my question was if "Goblins 2STR" is Normal and if "Goblins 3STR" is Tough, then what difficulty level is "Monster"? Really tough? My confusion was since there is no difficulty level associated with Monster, then am I supposed to draw a monster card in addition to picking one of the Goblin difficulty levels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's listed on the Variants page under the Knight Solo rules:

Quote:
Choose the difficulty level:
Easy: All Ambushes are “Normal” Goblins.
Medium: All Ambushes are “Tough” Goblins.
Hard: All Ambushes are “Monsters”.

So, if you're playing on "Medium" difficulty and encounter an Ambush, you get attacked by Goblins with a Strength of 3. If you're strong enough to beat them, nothing else happens. If they beat you, you lose 1 health.

If you're playing on "Hard" difficulty instead, when you encounter an Ambush you draw a Monster and look at the "Ambush" section on the bottom of the card to see what strength it is and what happens (in addition to losing 1 health) if you aren't strong enough to beat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aha, I missed that part of the variant description in the rulebook. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.