Subject: How can 13 Days have 29 reviews but only 388 raters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis with a buddy and rather liked it. It's a clever little mini Twilight Struggle'ish game with even more brinkmanship and it's over in 30-40 minutes. Whether it's a great game I dunno, probably not (a little too random perhaps) but it certainly deserves some love. However... so many reviews out of so few raters so far? There are games with lots more raters and lots fewer reviewers. Concordia, for example, has 7.5k raters and 39 reviewers, a much more normal ratio.

What gives with this game? A rabid Cuban Missile Crisis fan club? Is this characteristic of Kickstarter games?

P.S. Also, who's the cookie who rated it "5" heavy?!? The game is light medium, medium at best. Heavy?!? People be crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
13 x 29 = 377

Pete (arbitrarily concludes it should have 377 raters)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you just call someone a cookie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:

Yeah, I toned down my original label. After all, who wouldn't want to be a cookie?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
After all, who wouldn't want to be a cookie?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Touchfuzzy wrote:

It's a term for people who only play eurogames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

P.S. Also, who's the cookie who rated it "5" heavy?!? The game is light medium, medium at best. Heavy?!? People be crazy.

For some people 2 pounds are heavy. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I just played 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis with a buddy and rather liked it. It's a clever little mini Twilight Struggle'ish game with even more brinkmanship and it's over in 30-40 minutes. Whether it's a great game I dunno, probably not (a little too random perhaps) but it certainly deserves some love. However... so many reviews out of so few raters so far? There are games with lots more raters and lots fewer reviewers. Concordia, for example, has 7.5k raters and 39 reviewers, a much more normal ratio.

What gives with this game? A rabid Cuban Missile Crisis fan club? Is this characteristic of Kickstarter games?

The authors were very keen to travel and play at cons and also provide reviewers with P&P examples AFAIR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burning Monkey wrote:
Touchfuzzy wrote:

It's a term for people who only play eurogames.

Someone should create a cookie patterned ribbon. Would be proud to wear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Looks to me that they send out a boatload of their games to reviewers, but failed to get any traction in the gaming community. It happens. If I had to guess it's because it's too random for the history-minded gamers and looks too much like a wargame to the eurogame crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, the designer tipped every review with 13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Soon to be published!
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I just played 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis with a buddy and rather liked it. It's a clever little mini Twilight Struggle'ish game with even more brinkmanship and it's over in 30-40 minutes. Whether it's a great game I dunno, probably not (a little too random perhaps) but it certainly deserves some love.

Thanks for the praise

skutsch wrote:

For non-gamers, or 'family minus' gamers the card text heavy format of CDG is very happy. I agree with your assessment, but I don't claim it is THE truth for all individuals that will come across it. I think it is often forgotten in the insular BGG community, that almost everyone here is a dedicated gamer.

Now to the crux of your question!
skutsch wrote:
However... so many reviews out of so few raters so far? There are games with lots more raters and lots fewer reviewers. Concordia, for example, has 7.5k raters and 39 reviewers, a much more normal ratio.

The answer is multi-faceted. I think one of the main reasons there aren't even more reviews of other titles is publisher's reluctance to send out... review copies. I don't know if we managed to convince UltraPro it was worthwhile, or they just agreed with us, but it happened. We're sending out even more as we speak, as well as over the next few months!
That and the extensive Designer Diary seems to have added a helping hand to reviewers that wanted to delve deeper, or get enthused.

Basically if you have a good game (or think you have), then I don't think there is any better marketing than getting it in the hands of reviewers. Flamme Rouge is actually my 1st design, but it only finished at the factory yesterday. Today we're shipping out 50 review copies.

That accounts for the number of reviews, but how about the lower number of ratings you ask? Well the game sold out very, very fast. The 2nd print run only arrived late August, and even now CSI still doesn't have it in stock, but US retailers (MM?) are starting to get it again, just these days.

eddy_sterckx wrote:
Looks to me that they send out a boatload of their games to reviewers, but failed to get any traction in the gaming community. It happens. If I had to guess it's because it's too random for the history-minded gamers and looks too much like a wargame to the eurogame crowd.

Now I can't foresee the future, but the second print run has also sold out, and the third started. And ALL reviews so far have basically been positive, even if it wasn't their preferred genre or weight (which it was for the vast majority). None of this is of course any real evidence for traction in the gaming community, but combined with the 2nd print run also selling out, I hope it is. But I'm also biased in my hopes

I could give an analysis on why it has gotten the traction it has so far, but it isn't much more than guesswork.

Hope I could help shed some light on some of the issues. Don't know if it was useful though

Regards
Asger Granerud

PS And yes we've tipped lots of GG, but I don't think it matters really. Enjoy yours though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish this one was available at my FOGS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AsgerSG wrote:
For non-gamers, or 'family minus' gamers the card text heavy format of CDG is very happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Soon to be published!
mbmbmbmbmb
With THAT picture, I'm not even editing

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting in hopes that AsgerSG tips me .13GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AsgerSG wrote:
skutsch wrote:
I just played 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis with a buddy and rather liked it. It's a clever little mini Twilight Struggle'ish game with even more brinkmanship and it's over in 30-40 minutes. Whether it's a great game I dunno, probably not (a little too random perhaps) but it certainly deserves some love.

Thanks for the praise

Well you made a good game Mr. Designer Man!

I was especially impressed by the way you made the whole defcon tracks work, it felt very thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RVS70 cracked me up by tipping the designer 0.13.

Pete (appreciated that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:

come over to my place and we'll play my copy. It's indeed very quick but it lacks a bit in replayability in my case. I prefer to play the bigger brother. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
Tegarend wrote:

come over to my place and we'll play my copy. It's indeed very quick but it lacks a bit in replayability in my case. I prefer to play the bigger brother. whistle

14 Days?

Hundred Days Battles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.