8 Posts

Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Last Hit and Saving Rolls, help needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Skoda
msg tools
Hello everyone,

I am very confused by when a saving roll gets done. It says in the rule that a saving roll is done when a last hit happens. The problem is that there are 2 last hits defined in the rules, 1 is a turn over and the other one is death.

Originally I thought that as soon as a last hit happens, IE turnover last hit, that I apply a saving roll. But then a read an ability of a hero which says "takes 4 hits like civilians". civilians take 2 hits until a last hit turn over.

So my main question is when do I apply a saving roll?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dylan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I thought saving roll is only applied when death...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jupiter999 wrote:
Hmm, I thought saving roll is only applied when death...

Yeah, unless I've been reading this completely wrong, then it's only when the unit would die that you do the saving roll.

The turn over is not a last hit, it's a midway hit and as I see it it's just a game interface thing that you turn the counter over. If not for that we'd be piling up to 5 wound tokens on one Zeds unit, which would be fiddly and require more wound tokens (and thus a higher price) and we'd have to keep track of lowered abilities for wounded units ourselves.

Hope this makes sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Skoda
msg tools
Thanks guys, here are how the exact rules read

"A * represents the last hit on the full strength side, which is enough to flip the unit over to its reduced strength side

A * represents the last hit on the units reduced strength side, which is enough to eliminate the unit."

"When a player units takes its last hit anywhere outside of the hospital, it may make a saving roll..."

This is so confusing, but thanks again guys for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dskod1 wrote:
Thanks guys, here are how the exact rules read

"A * represents the last hit on the full strength side, which is enough to flip the unit over to its reduced strength side

A * represents the last hit on the units reduced strength side, which is enough to eliminate the unit."

"When a player units takes its last hit anywhere outside of the hospital, it may make a saving roll..."

This is so confusing, but thanks again guys for clarifying.

Ah, then I can definitely see, where you're coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the "last" hit that would eliminate the unit - the saving roll "preventing" the unit going to the Cemetery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
It is the "last" hit that would eliminate the unit - the saving roll "preventing" the unit going to the Cemetery.

Right. The Saving Roll is only made to determine if the unit is going to move to the Hospital or the Graveyard, not to flip the token over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Skoda
msg tools
Thanks for clarifying this guys, much appreciated.

It would be nice if the wording in the rules was "...takes a last hit that would eliminate..." instead of what is currently there.

Play this heaps with my family and I am yet to win a game XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.