$30.00
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Introduction: Discuss Sin attacking and the core Hits vs Defense mechanics.

It is rare that the Sin wants to React with a lone Monster to move and attack. 2 or 3 dice are not enough to cause damage through a Hero's 1/2/3 defense plus its rolls of defense & faith.
Occasionly (mistakenly), if the Hero parks himself on a Monster then the Sin will React with another Monster for a stacked attack.
Sin will often use Reactions to only stack, rarely attacking.
Another use for a Reaction is to just move a Monster to the Hero and not attack, force the Hero to waste a turn on attacking or take an automatic hit when leaving.
A rare scenario where a Sin will actually want to attack is when trying to max out a Hero's corruption.

Conclusion: Sin doesn't care about attack for Hits vs Defense mechanics unless it's a stack.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Optional rule: Aggressive Sin: When a Sin Reacts and attacks, if the Monster is alone it gains +1 automatic hit.

If I was Sin...
Would I now attack? Rarely. Is it worth it, to risk losing my Monster and not be able to delay the Heroes or cause automatic hits when Heroes leave the space? No.
Atleast occasionly there might be a moment where I'd now want to attack with a lone Monster. Enjoy being horrifically aggressive instead of a wimp planning to stack or to spread out and survive.

This may seem like a buff to the Sin but if the Monster dies it is often a win for the Heroes. Fewer stacks and fewer Monsters blocking paths.

Mostly I'm thinking about Acolytes and Abominations. But, how will this rule affect Contoller, Avatar, Hell Club? Are their Hits really that scarey? Hell Club seems fairly weak. Controller you are afraid to lose before you can combo him/her with that one Sin card. Avatar is often a mission objective that you are afraid to lose. Avatar doing 8 hits, yes ouch, but better than him stacking for 9,10,15 or more.

Hero: I'm too weak to kill that big Monster and now it's aggressively confident to permanently chase me... Use the Metro. Heal. Get defense or movement equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've landed the majority of my damage against heroes that are maxed out on Corruption (Edit: To clarify, I'm usually looking for corruption results more often than damage when I play. I think corruption is far more deadly for heroes). If that's not the case, I'm usually going after the hero on the board with the lowest defense.

If the hero standing with a lone monster is high defense, low corruption, or both, I consider that monster lost unless I reach a point where I can set something up later.

That all being said, I guess it's pretty clear that I do not think an optional rule is necessary. I'm not entirely certain a single auto-hit would really make an impact at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't say clear. In fact a large chunk of what you said confirmed my conclusion.

The one differing important unique point you offered was this: I'm usually going after the hero on the board with the lowest defense.

Thanks for feedback Dave.

Personally though I'm still intrigued by this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.