Subject: stickers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, does the idea of putting stickers on pieces (presidents and foreigner tiles, for instance) feel like a rather cheap piece of bling for a deluxe edition? I don't mean to be negative, I was just surprised to see that, and I'm pretty concerned about long-term durability. I've never come across this particular thing before, and I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with using stickers on game pieces? Do they hold up well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrazyPiper wrote:
So, does the idea of putting stickers on pieces (presidents and foreigner tiles, for instance) feel like a rather cheap piece of bling for a deluxe edition? I don't mean to be negative, I was just surprised to see that, and I'm pretty concerned about long-term durability. I've never come across this particular thing before, and I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with using stickers on game pieces? Do they hold up well?

Stickers on wooden pieces is an ongoing trademark of TMG games. Some of their fans are big proponents of this, and think this is part of the mystique that makes a TMG game special. During the Orleans Deluxe kickstarter, I recall that their were lots of people specifically asking for more stickers on wood.

In my experience, they tend to hold up just fine. I would only be concerned if items were being placed in a bag and randomized a lot during the game. While the stickers aren't my favorite thing, it is a trademark of TMG games that I believe they will continue to use going forward. I don't believe they chose it to be "cheap", but instead like the design aesthetic of stickers on wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If durability is a concern then don't use the stickers. I believe the stickers are just an extra and were not originally promised during the campaign and it's up to you whether you like plain meeples or meeples with stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the original Orleans (DLP Version with the Fan Kit) which has all its wooden meeples/men with stickers on the front and back (one sticker was the front of the man, the other was the back of the man - pretty cool). They sit in a bag throughout the game constantly being scrambled and pulled out and appear to be holding up quite well. The Presidents in Yokohama will not received this treatment so will hold up that much better.

I'm more curious to know if we will get double stickers for each Yokohama presidents' front and back or if they only have the fronts planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some games with stickers on wood (Fields of Arle and Burgle Bros. come to mind), and have not had any durability issues.

One tip that I heard and which has worked well for me: Heat the wood pieces and stickers slightly before application.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
I'm more curious to know if we will get double stickers for each Yokohama presidents' front and back or if they only have the fronts planned.

Only the fronts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpierce72 wrote:
I don't believe they chose it to be "cheap", but instead like the design aesthetic of stickers on wood.

This is interesting. And to be clear, I wasn't trying to call out TMG exactly, I just hadn't noticed this before. It makes sense to me to think of it as a company aesthetic. It's certainly an interesting way to get more detail onto a meeple while being cost effective.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm still looking forward to this game, and now I'm contemplating Chimera Station, which intrigues me, but I'm just not sure about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrazyPiper wrote:
I've never come across this particular thing before, and I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with using stickers on game pieces? Do they hold up well?

They've held up decently well on a lot of Orleans deluxe copes I've seen. I had custom 3d printed meeples made for me for Vast: The Crystal Caverns and used a clear Acrylic spray to create a clear coat for extra durability. You can also use polyurethane or some wood lacquers depending on the finish and feel you want.

Otherwise, as other people mentioned, it's really only an extra that wasn't even promised during the KS. At worst, you can just toss em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:

Only the fronts.

Actually, Seth, we're doing front and back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim O'Leary
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had a problem with stickers on the Belfort pieces and I have had the game a couple of years and they are all just in baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ad7m wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:

Only the fronts.

Actually, Seth, we're doing front and back.

With different art on the back? Or the front stickers on both sides?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Different art on the back! We should put them into an update as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ad7m wrote:
Different art on the back! We should put them into an update as well.

Awesome! I haven't seen the backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.