Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignazio Corrao

Malzeville
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm mostly playing in a group of four people, so I'm trying to find ways to scale difficulty to match four characters.

It's been suggested to eliminate one spawn point, but because it may affect a scenario's game play balance, I've been thinking of a different method: to just mix the zombie deck with some blank cards.

So, if I want to reduce the number of players to four, I'll swap 33% of cards with blanks (or add 50% blanks to the deck).

It can also be used to tweak difficulty, by reducing or increasing the blanks percentage.

Unfortunately I can't really test the idea, because I would need to to find a way to mark some cards. Maybe by sleeving them and slipping in a small label?

Do you think it may work? And, will it impact game play?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could go for the route that the 'modern' Zombicide took in one of the expansions (was it 2nd season? don't know): assign numbers to the spawn points and roll which of the points activate.

That way, if you reduce the number of spawns you can't be sure where the zombies are going to show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel666 wrote:
You could go for the route that the 'modern' Zombicide took in one of the expansions (was it 2nd season? don't know): assign numbers to the spawn points and roll which of the points activate.

That way, if you reduce the number of spawns you can't be sure where the zombies are going to show up.

+1 to this. season 3, assigned numbers to each zombie spawn zone. you can play with the spawn point as the quest, but have active # -1.. and roll to see which one are actually active.

edit sorry, I don't have much input re blank cards. I think it might be tedious.. what if you get a couple of full rounds with only one card of zombies. It would be rare, but for ME, it would add too much randomness to a game that is already quite random
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just play with more characters?

If you have either Wulfsburg or the Hero Box with extra dashboards, we've found 4 players each controlling 2 works well.

If you're playing Core Box only, 6 with 4 can still work - we did it so that each player controls 1 hero permanently, and there are two which rotate, played by the first player, but at the end of the round (helps smooth out the massive gap between being first this round and last next round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for controlling 2 characters each. This also helps reduce the chance of a survivor getting bad draws and the player feeling worthless during a mission. Adding Wulfsburg or the Hero pack would also add a small amount variety to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
br bre
msg tools
We're playing with these rules(copied from my own document), and they seem to work from the games we've had.

"Survivor difficulty adjustment:
These adjustments are also applicable to the base game. It is also recommended to use a zombie first spawn token and move it either clockwise or counterclockwise on the board every turn to keep track of zombie spawn starts.
6 survivors - no change
4 survivors - 2/3 spawn cards when drawing, skipping 1/3
3 survivors - 1/2 spawn cards when drawing, skipping 1/2
2 survivors - 1/3 spawn cards when drawing, skipping 2/3

Example: 4 zombie spawn tokens at the edge of the map and 2 from necromancers, playing with 4 survivors.
This gives 6 total spawns which gives the following: 6 x (2/3) = 4 spawn cards. Before the game begins agree on whether you round up or round down so there is no disputes."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing four players/four characters for the last few months, using the system of randomizing one spawn point each round and not drawing a card for the one selected.

But it's pretty hit or miss. The scenario actually are designed with six survivors in mind and it can be very difficult covering the amount of ground required with fewer survivors. Look at scenario 4 (Famine), for example: even if the spawns are adjusted to four survivors, you still need to search until you find the six items and that takes more time with fewer survivor actions each round.

Adjustments can be made, but my rating of the game drops a full point with four survivors. I really wanted it to work, but I did not like the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao

Malzeville
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the suggestions.
I will try all the different variants.

I'm only fearing that playing with four characters (2 per player), and additional Spawn Point may considerably increase playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest adjustment is to play without fixed turn order (as you would do in a solo game).
We have done this with modern Zombicide and BP. It works perfect and is more fun anyway (because you have more tactical Options)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I have made two Quests designed and tested for 4 players.
Feel free to try them.

Burn that Troll!
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1660430/custom-quest-burn-t...

Is there a Cure?
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1669180/custom-quest-there-...

We also usualy play in four. The game is shorter and plays more swiftly that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
What about giving each survivor four actions instead of three? How much would that mitigate the disadvantage of playing with only four characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. O'Brien
msg tools
mb
That's some quality custom quest wrangling right there! I've only played through these ones once and they seemed fun, and aren't as well put together but I was keen to toy around with the idea of 3 map square quests for a change of speed and dynamics - if anyone gets bored or feels like trying them out, don't hesitate to give them a crack

(apologies if they don't upload properly, first try at it!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.