BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How much do you spend on games per year? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently checked my bank account to find the amount was 650$ for the last 12 months for me. Though I might considering adding the games I got as presents since I could have gotten something else out of that - that's probably around another 250 for a total of 900.
I kinda feel a bit bad about this and would want to cut it down a bit, you know, saving for the future and all - I actually thought I had managed to spend a bit less the last 6 months compared to the 6 months before, but it turns out that it's actually a bit worse, which surprised me a lot.

How are you doing on this regard? To be fair, I might just be here to hopefully feel a bit better about myself

Poll
How much money do you spend on board games per year
0-500 $
500-1000 $
1000-1500 $
1500-2000 $
2000-2500 $
2500-3000 $
3000+ $
      499 answers
Poll created by Thip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I try not to buy to many games now, due to space issues. And also I have been selling off a few games. Kickstarter is dangerous, though.........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never made the calculation, because I probably wouldnt like the answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not including retail shops & other online shops.

on www.ozgameshop.com, looking on my history of orders, it totals:
$691.24

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped adding stuff up once I crossed the $3000 threshold - I blame quiet night shifts when my impulse control stops being a thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've tried to limit myself to 1 game a month with reasonable success over the last two years, but this summer I've stumbled with 4 in August and 2 in September. So probably $500-1000 a year if the average game is $50 here in the UK.

In my defence, this summer I've also sold 7 games and gifted 2 games to family. So I like to pretend that makes my recent rule-breaking okay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Under $500AUD the last three years, over $500AUD/250GBP before that.

Even when I owned a LOT of games I was always into the second hand market/trading new copies of games I'd paid for to friends for new copies of games they'd paid for/looking at extreme sales and clearances. The main people I played with found great games and we'd play every great game dozens and dozens of times.

Being poor sucks but at least you can find expensive games for cheap when you keep an eye out and have a hand in trades, and hanging out with fellow poverty liners means you cherish games with replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Less then a ton I should say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Given the lack of info on which "$" currency, I'm totally assuming you meant Zimbabwean dollars so I answered $3000+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without checking all the numbers, I'd have to say this year I'm probably pushing the highest level from the poll. Now, that may seem like a lot, but in the greater picture, it hasn't affected me negatively. I have still been able to put away plenty of funds in a retirement plan, save for a house, and also live normal life comfortably. I've also sold some stuff off here and there.

But honestly, I believe my spending will wind down soon enough. This year was really a transition from new gamer the year before to refining my tastes. I have a really good idea on what I like now and am less likely to impulse buy in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year: £241 (~$314 US)

Pretty happy with that, actually. Thought it might be more.
But the year's not over yet ... devil

Actually, it's only the Bang!-dice expansion and maybe Terraforming Mars that might get me before December's out, unless some unavoidable bargain crops up, or something unexpected (Essen ... gulp) so I'm probably safely esconced in the first category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot more than I should, given that I buy games most of the time at the MSRP..... Not a lot of free shipping options to Romania, so i order them from local stores, where I'm lucky when the prices do not go above the MSRP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have set a $50 per month budget for games, but if I sell any games I spend that money as well on games and I don't count it towards my budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit hard to tell, since BGG's 'date added' shows when a game entered your 'collection', which includes the wish list. But when I go back 12 months, I see about 1600-1700€ worth of games that I bought in that period. That more or less matches what I think I've been spending, so I guess it's as accurate as it'll get. It includes last year's Essen and two Dutch conventions, where I think I got the bulk of the games

The last few months, I've been slowing down a bit, though. I want to get more plays out of the games I have, instead of playing something new and never coming back to it. Though Essen is just around the corner, so some new acquisitions are on their way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
$1000 or more? Insanity... The most I have spent per year is maybe like $400 and I can't keep up playing them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm probably right around the $500 mark, but I'm way too lazy to go back and calculate it though. Each year I also sell used games at my local shops used game sale. This year I made $195, so that makes me feel a little better.

Edit: maybe I'm not too lazy... It looks around $300 for the year so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past 12 months I'm probably right around the $1,000 - $1,500 mark. Most of my game expenditures are from Origins though as I use the convention as my vacation. As a result, my budget for new game acquisitions is conflated with my vacation budget and my vacation budget is has consistent been about $2,000 - $3,500 for the last 5 years or so regardless of whether my vacation in a gaming budget or an international destination.

TLR - I spent about $1,000-$1,500 on games in the past 12 months but about $1,000 of that was part of my vacation budget when I went to Origins so my gaming budget doesn't really cut into my overall budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not everyone of us throws money on boardgames. So, lumping the first category 0-500 would be distorted. I have spent, and will spend up to $200 for 2016. I plan to reduce this to $100 next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I spend X. Where X is the total cost of the games that I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently gotten into the hobby, so I've gone from spending $0 a year to probably over $1000 this year, but hopefully as I'm crossing things off of my wishlist my craving will wane. That said, my wishlist is bigger now than it was when I first made it as I've found this site and gotten a lot of recommendations.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at $527 so far this year (including iOS purchases). I will probably buy another $200 worth of games between now and the end of the year.

I'm relatively new to the hobby and building my library of titles somewhat, so I expect the dollar amounts to decrease in future years when I am adding 4-5 games per year as opposed to 10-15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Insanity...

Don't knock insanity until you've tried it!

As far as my own spending on my hobby, I plead the Fifth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
I'm at $527 so far this year (including iOS purchases).

Oh no, no WAY am I including PC games in this total, we'd need several more levels of spendy-ness in that poll. And do NOT get me started on adding in dice, cards, organizers, sleeves, etc into the total, either. Actual playable board games only!

Kickstarter is my problem, the bulk of my board game spending is there. I go in cycles, with 2-3 very expensive months, then 2-3 months with little to no games purchased. I'd like to say I'm getting better, but CMON keeps releasing things... I blame them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I'm sure I can dig it up but as a quick guide I made my first purchase at CSI (that and KS is where I get the bulk of my games) in March '13 and I'm already about 1/3 of the way from level 8 to level 9 whistle Taking a quick look at KS I've spent about 2 to 3 times more there in roughly the same time frame modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the box for 1500-2000 but I'm not entirely sure it's accurate. It also depends on how loose we're going here.

This past year I went to gencon, I got into building foamcore inserts for my games, I've got some custom playmats and plenty of card sleeves, as well as plenty of games. Also purchased a decent bit of gaming stuff on iOS. All together I'd estimate myself in that range above.

Strictly spent on physical games, probably more like 500-1000. I'm trying to slow down a bit as well, but at the same time there is so much cool new stuff and cool old stuff that I want to play and or try.

We'll see how it goes. Certainly do spend a bit more than I thought, but given this is my major hobby and main source of entertainment, and counting the gencon trip that was basically my summer vacation, 1500-2000 doesn't sound all that bad at all. About 800 of that was the gencon trip, and the other 1000 roughly spread out over 52 weeks is just about $20 a week. Overall I don't really think that's a big issue. I know plenty who go to a movie a week or go to the bars a few nights a week, etc. Heck I even wind up spending $12 per week on my bowling league, and I certainly game more hours than I bowl every week.

So overall the number originally surprised me a bit, but after thinking about it like this I'm quite content with how much I spend on this hobby. My spreadsheet says I've spent 320 hours playing games this year, and that doesn't count all my iOS games played, the time constructing decks for LotR LCG, the time spent making foamcore inserts, or the time spent at gencon. A rough estimate means I've probably spent around 500 hours this year on my hobby thus far, and $3-4 dollars per hour for that enjoyment seems appropriate. Especially since most of this time is spent with the boyfriend and/or others, so the per person dollars per hour is probably only around 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.