Subject: Component quality - laminating boards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JasX X
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Just got my copy and the first thing that struck me was how flimsey the boards are (especially with one needing to be frantically passed around and drawn on by everyone on the boat)

How do the components stand up after repeat plays? has anyone gone as far as laminating theirs? (I assume the boards will stand up ok to the heat of a laminating machine?

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect quality of all components. No complaints from my side. The sheets are thick and sturdy (not the transparent sheet for the Radio Operator – but this sheet is not meant to be thick but to be effecitve).

I’m curious: You mention a board that is meant to be frantically passed around and drawn on by everyone on the boat. What exactly do you mean by that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He probably means the Engineer's sheet when surfacing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
He probably means the Engineer's sheet when surfacing.

Gosh! It seems as I have memory problems at the end of a long and hard working day. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JasX X
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jumpwalker wrote:
The sheets are thick and sturdy (not the transparent sheet for the Radio Operator – but this sheet is not meant to be thick but to be effecitve).

really? all my sheets are a very thin material, all are much thinner and less robust than the radio operator transparency sheet which is nice, thick and plasticy. The sheets are standard cardstock thickness rather than an actual 'board'.

I have grabbed an inexpensive amazon own brand laminator and will see how I get on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deric Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I bought transparent files for each role (except radio operator) and insert their corresponding sheets in it whenever we are playing. Definitely cheaper than laminate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you get on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JasX X
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Belevoix wrote:
How did you get on?

The machine only arrived yesterday!

But overall it worked very well, all my boards now feel sturdy and tear/crumple proof & can even shrug off drink spills

I used fairly standard 125 micron thick a4 laminating pouches.

Only side note is A4 is slightly too big for the square box but with minimal trimming of the plastic surround everything fits perfectly

(the maps themselves are A4 height but only 95% the width of normal A4 size)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look good but how does the erasability fair on the laminate? Easy to keep clean? Or does it go dingy quickly with repeat use? I suppose you could always cut the seal and release the boards and relaminate them though... I'm planning to do this now as Sonar is definitely going to see pub games and beer and grease. Good job JasX X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I don't think that laminating is reversible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JasX X
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Belevoix wrote:
They look good but how does the erasability fair on the laminate? Easy to keep clean?

It's just the same as the base boards, write on wipe off with the pen end.

The other plus is if you're laminating it makes it very easy to drop in any custom or other maps you might knock up on photoshop. Just print them out, drop into a laminate sheet along with some stiff plain card and you're done.

The type of laminate I used is reversible (the main risk is the machine jamming and destroying the original when you put it on -hence i made sure I bought a machine with a jam release function, not bad for £16), but why would you want/need to repeat the process unless u manage to gouge/scratch one with something sharp somehow or they get *really really* old and battered....

....in which case what state would an unprotected board have ended up in after the same amount of use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.