Hide
4 Posts

Unfair» Forums » General

Subject: Fonts used rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias C.
msg tools
To create custom PnP cards, can you tell us the name of the fonts you used?

For main content text, it seems to be "Times New Roman" in regular, bold and italic (at least it comes very close, 26 pt for card text, 22.5 pt for subtext/comment section at the bottom of cards).

What about the fonts for the names for Attraction, Upgrade, City,... and Blueprints?

Did I miss any font?

Are these fonts available for free, if not, which free fonts comes close?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
The main rule text is Cambria, chosen for improved legibility at small size. It's used for the card type line, rule box, and flavour text. I believe the font is available with Windows / Office, or commercially if you don't already have it installed.

The card titles are Bree Serif Bold, with some additional height. This a commercial font.

Blueprint titles are Comicraft CCDearDiary. This is a commercial font.

Numbers in stars, points, and coin values use Frutiger Extra Black Condensed. This is a commercial font.

I'm sure there are many similar fonts available for free download, but I don't have any specific names I can recommend. Finding the perfect font for our purposes was a hard enough task to begin with, without worrying about finding it again for free
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias C.
msg tools

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive answer.

Indeed Cambria is already installed in Windows.

For Bree you can easily Google search and find that font even for free, not sure how legal that is. If you want to go the safe way for private usage, just type your text in the online preview on any purchase website and take a screenshot to use in your graphic program. Should be sufficient for a home made PnP card.

To replace Comicraft CCDearDiary, check out Komika or Crimefighter, both somehow similar, just need some stretching etc.
I don't mind some letters looking a bit different, the general style works.

For Frutiger there should be many replacements out there in the wild as Frutiger is a very common commercial font.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Finch
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pure_technetium wrote:

For Bree you can easily Google search and find that font even for free, not sure how legal that is.

Bree is a Google font so it's free (with certain licensing considerations, of course): https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Bree+Serif

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.