Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't about a game per se, but it is DIY related. I have created what could be called a parlor trick which consists of six square cards 7.6" on a side. One is called the window card, and there is a list of numbers on each of the other five. To do the trick, the subject chooses any integer from 0 to 999 without directly saying what it is, then is shown the five lists in sequence. The subject responds to each list with one of four possible answers: not there, no symbol, slash, or star. Then the stack of cards is lined up and shown to the subject. The chosen number appears in the window. Here are images of both sides of one of the cards (from an earlier version.)

I recently got a laser cutter, and I can finally cut the holes quickly and easily enough that making and selling this thing has become potentially viable. I intend to print on the thickest stock my printer will accept, or maybe what some copier service offers. Each set would be sold inside a ziplock baggie, but inasmuch as my main demographic is children and young adults, I want these cards to be as robust as possible. Surviving encounters with liquid is a priority. I thought to use something like clear con-tac on each side, but that would have to happen before cutting, and the edges (not just around the outside but at all those holes) would be vulnerable.

I saw a recent post about spray coating. That would seem to require less effort and would work better. It looks like a matte finish would be preferred since legibility is essential. How many coats do you think I would need? Any advice or suggestion is most welcome. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I should make clear that the two sides of each card will be printed on the same sheet. I don't intend to use any glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some cards laminated at a local "teacher store". 1.28 per linear foot. 26 inches wide. My whole deck was around 2 bucks.
try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a teacher store??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
What's a teacher store??

It is a store that sells items and services intended to help teachers ply their trade. Instructional and inspirational posters, chalkboard accessories, demonstration models, wood and plastic bits in various shapes, general desk supplies, and laminating services are all fair game for such a store. Some of these also hold appeal to DIY gamers who do not teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy laminators which will use heat to melt the 2 sides of the plastic together with your paper in the middle. It is some up front cost, but you have versatility. Or, you could go to Wal-Mart and buy press-and-seal lamination pockets. They come in different sizes and you did not have to buy a machine. Or you could sens your files to a print store, which often offers lamination. The UPS Store is one such that is not 'teacher' specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do appreciate all these suggestions. But there's a detail I should make clear. See the image I posted? See all those grey rectangles? Those are holes. The holes have to be clear of laminate. The trick won't work if you have to peer through up to 11 layers of laminate to see the number. So for example, if I use the "sandwich between two layers of laminate" approach, I will have to cut the holes and the surrounding square of each card after lamination. I'm not sure, but I suspect the laser cutter will leave all these cut edges vulnerable if the cards should get wet. I want to laminate after cutting. I want to laminate the cards without laminating across any hole. I will try to find a teacher's store still in business near me. Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.