Subject: Combined Arms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew McBrien
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Coming to W&P from the A&A:1940 games, I was surprised to see there are no benefits for combined arms in this game. Especially given that this was such a strong element in Napoleonic warfare.

It's simple enough to come up with homebrew solutions though, so here's one set of suggestions:

Attacking cavalry: hits on 1-2
Attacking cavalry, supported with artillery: 1-3
Attacking artillery: 1
Attacking artillery, supported with infantry: 1-2

This correctly rewards mixed forces over uniform ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another system that might work well is to borrow from Viktory II.

Each unit type rolls one die that hits on 1-3.

If using Infantry, no matter how many present; 1 die
Infantry & Artillery; 2 dice
Infantry, Cavalry, & Artillery; 3 dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McBrien
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
I can't say I know that game. Could be an interesting direction to go in but possibly a bit more radical than I'm thinking of. My suggestions basically mirror the way the A&A:1940 games do things.

Actually a further embellishment to those I've already suggested could be:

Attacking/defending infantry, supported by both artillery and cavalry: hit on 1-2 (two infantry units gain this benefit per each pair of artillery and cavalry)

Which would help to offset the massive effects both Napoleon and Wellington make to infantry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McBrien
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
After trying out a couple of games we've settled on adopting just the infantry combined arms benefit alone (two infantry units hit on 1-2 per each pair of cavalry and artillery). Just that change on its own seems to play out very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.