$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Codenames: Pictures» Forums » General

Subject: Why the change to a 5x4 grid? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Worcester
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was a particular reason ever given as to why the grid was changed from 5x5 to 5x4 with pictures? I find it particularly interesting that they distributed a promo set just to allow you to play 5x5.

I haven't played it yet so maybe the pictures are just harder so that it helps the players out a bit by eliminating 5 cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not explained anywhere but my guess would be to stop it being too difficult. It does say in the rule book that theres no reason you can't do the 5 x 5 though.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shapes are far more subjective than words and given that each card has at least two concepts on them it makes it very tricky to give a broad enough clue that doesn't draw the wrong hits.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that, because the picture cards are larger than the word cards, a 5x5 grid would have a bigger footprint on the table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
Shapes are far more subjective than words and given that each card has at least two concepts on them it makes it very tricky to give a broad enough clue that doesn't draw the wrong hits.
Having played it, I can confirm that this was my personal experience with Codenames Pictures. The clues are much harder to give.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played with Dixit cards long before Codenames: Pictures came out, I found the 25-card grid just had too much information to process. It's quite different to 25 words you can take in at a glance.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've given the "official" answer on this to everyone who asked at cons

With images, it is easier for a team to see more things that the spymaster didn't actually mean. During testing, we had so many incorrect guesses, more than we liked. Because the team was like: "oh yeah, it could be that one, ooo, and that one, and also oooo that one and that one and that one".

Personally, I find giving clues to pictures much easier, because each picture is made up easily of about 5 different words, whereas the word... well, its a word.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Its not explained anywhere but my guess would be to stop it being too difficult. It does say in the rule book that theres no reason you can't do the 5 x 5 though.


A 5 x 5 grid would not work unless you had the original Codenames game to use the master grid clue card from that game. The picture edition shows only a 5 x 4 grid on the clue card.





Original Game 5 x 5


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
rod3556lhs wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
Its not explained anywhere but my guess would be to stop it being too difficult. It does say in the rule book that theres no reason you can't do the 5 x 5 though.


A 5 x 5 grid would not work unless you had the original Codenames game to use the master grid clue card from that game. The picture edition shows only a 5 x 4 grid on the clue card.





Original Game 5 x 5




I'm not entirely sure what point you're making?

Yes you need the 5 x 5 keycards, or just download the app. The point I was making was why it is 5 x 4.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree with you Peter. I was just responding to what it says in the rule book,that "there's no reason you can't do the 5 x 5." And thought that this was at least one reason that you might not be able to do that very easily.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
rod3556lhs wrote:
I don't disagree with you Peter. I was just responding to what it says in the rule book,that "there's no reason you can't do the 5 x 5." And thought that this was at least one reason that you might not be able to do that very easily.


Ah ok my apologies. Yes I see your point : )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.