Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Cantrell
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Instead of taking the player markers and shuffling them after advancing the time marker, you just resolve them from top to bottom as they lay.

If, after doing an action, your character marker lands on a time space that another character's marker is already at, you place your marker over theirs, which means you will go before them when the time marker reaches that space. In other words: First in, last out.

Conversely, you could also say that your marker goes underneath any markers it might land on. Which would become: First in, First out.

This makes the game less random and also potentially speeds the game up, though generally not by a huge amount. The potential downside is that it introduces guaranteed combos and greatly lowers the excitement of uncertainty.

It's a very sharp divide in my playgroup on this variant. However, no one will refuse to play the game either way, it's just a preference. I wanted to see what other people out there in Internetland think, so please share your thoughts on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The Fog of War! Available now!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in the thoughts on this. It was that way in the game for a long time - probably at least a year. It was actually Stephen Buonocore who suggested it. The first character that goes into a time space goes on the bottom, and then other characters get placed on top of that. Then you resolve from top to bottom.

We ended up removing it because there were some really good combos that you could 100% set up for, and that other players really couldn't do anything about, if the first action in the sequence was one time. If you're last you know you're going to be able to do two actions back to back.

Pick-up/Throw was the classic. You could pick something up, turn to face however you like, and then throw it, and know people couldn't do anything in between.

In the end we like the suspense that the random draw gave. It adds an extra little excitement when you're hoping that your action gets to happen first while the board state is what it is.

But switching it up certainly doesn't break the game, and it makes certain situations more strategic, if you're paying attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually played this way today for the first time, kind of forgetting the random shuffle. It was a feature that players liked quite well. I can see the killer combos, though. We'll try it with randomizing next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.