$20.00
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello! so i plan to buy aliens (i love the theme, checked the game)

i dont know anything about firefly so i havent checked it, but since it's the latest game in the series it probably has new mechanics to add ,so i'd like to know about them

also what are you fighting in this one? are the enemies aliens? or just enemy ships?

some insight please

From a quick search i saw there are Ship enemies that damage your ship, and ship upgrades, if you ship gets destroyed you lose, that's pretty cool new way of losing

what other new stuff are there compared to the other legendary games?(i guess there are still "quests" to complete etc), if some things are "cut" please say aswell.

what i like in aliens : quests, boss monsters with unique abilities, scanning rooms, facehuggers(well i guess this isnt included hehe)deckbuilding , hazards,aliens coming to get you yadda yadda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Crutchington
United Kingdom
St Neots
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of new mechanics which affect the game, but nothing major...

First up - Avatars.
In Firefly there are the usual Avatars available, however crucially the Bridge/Crew deck is made up from the 4 Avatars not chosen. 5 Avatars are always chosen to be Main Characters regardless of the number of players (the ones not used are put on the side for example).

Avatars all have the usual special abilities, but now they are activated by Talent cards which are drawn and gained during the game. You 'spend' a talent card to use your ability, and put it back in the talent deck out of your deck. You can choose when to do this, and a Talent card always allows you to draw a new card, whether you choose to activate the talent or not.

The also have Flaws, these work in the same way as talents, you will gain them during the game. However, they MUST be played, and they trigger your Avatars flaw.

Second - Ships

Second major change is around the ship. Enemies will be either Ships or people. If they are Ships, they do damage to the Serenity, which draws from a deck of Ship strikes - these can be healed during the game or between episodes.
In between episodes, you can also spend your rewards to upgrade your ship for more bonuses during the game.

Thats pretty much it.

Oh, should also add..

No traitor mechanic. You still get the same stuff as in other games, working to Objectives, but instead of building up one big deck for a game, you make three episode decks, and play through them.
This allows for an Intermission between episodes to spend rewards etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
You are fighting the "enemies" in each episode. These vary from episode to episode. And include both major characters like Patience, Crow, Jubal, and Dobson. And minor extras like Alliance Soldiers, Patience's Snipers, and Triumph Bandits.

There are also some ships that you fight. Nothing special is required to fight these: a card providing combat provides the combat for individual fighting, ship fighting, or can be split as you please.

There's Lt. Womack in The Message, who is essentially a character and a ship. There is one card for each. Womack can't be fought as a character, but once his ship comes out, he hops onto that and you have to beat both in one turn. If Womack & his ship then reach the combat zone, they do a Crew Strike and a Ship Strike.

Each episode has an Objective. Completing the Objective immediately ends the episode (unlike Alien/Predators), and you move on to Intermission (or Inter-Mission, if you prefer ). So to complete Serenity (1), you need to deal with three Salvage cards that go into Operations when revealed. While dealing with Alliance soldiers and an Alliance ship.

In the Heart of Gold episode, you need to defeat the 7 Enemy cards in the episode. And (preferably) keep Nandi alive.

Completing an Objective typically rewards Talents (which are handed out immediately) and Credits (which are spent during Intermission).

There are also Event cards that hand out Strikes, Talents, and Flaws. And may also do other wacky stuff.

There are also Side Jobs, which are mildly similar to Drones, Young Bloods, Henchmen, etc. You randomly shuffle a # = 1 less than # of players, into each episode. Each Side Job (SJ) can be completed a different way, and gives you Talents and/or Credits if you win. And can cost you Credits and give you Flaws if you fail. The SJ has to be resolved by the end of the turn when it enters the Combat Zone. SJs include things like playing three cards with consecutive costs, or playing three cards with Coordinate, or using 6 Recruit in 3 batches of 2, or attacking another Avatar, or each player drawing a card from the Recruit deck and high total wins: in case of a tie for high total, everyone loses.

Finally, each episode is ended with an Inevitable cards. There are three of these, and all three are used every game to end each of the three episodes. Inevitable cards are ships that can't be fought. Not only will they Ship Strike you, but they have a secondary effect as well. Once they enter the combat zone, they stay there for each player's turn, one turn per player, so one complete round. If you still haven't completed the objective(s) by then, the episode ends anyway. Do your Intermission and then move onto the next episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Ship Upgrades & Intermissions:

Upgrades are bought during Intermissions. The top three are revealed, they have a Credit Cost of 1-5. You can spend any credits you have from Objectives and SJs to buy them. You can also use Credits to repair most ship damage, heal your characters, or buy extra cards. You get to see the three Upgrades available before choosing how you will spend your Credits.

Credits at the end of the first episode don't carry over to the second episode.

Upgrades include things like one enemy in the combat zone has -1 Combat, to an extra Serenity slot (normally there are four), to there being six cards instead of five to choose from when Recruiting.

Those are the relatively low-cost ones. Then there are the 5-Credit objectives, which are... One Coordinate card per turn is counted twice; and each turn, every player draws seven cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
SJs include things like ... each player drawing a card from the Recruit deck and high total wins: in case of a tie for high total, everyone loses.

Good summary overall, but slightly wrong with this one example.

each MAIN CHARACTER draws a card (so 5 cards are drawn), not just the players. If a non-player Main Character has the tall card (or if there is a tie, like you said), then no one wins. (I don't recall there being anything that discarded/defeated the Side Job itself in that situation, so it can be attempted again on another turn, at least until it hits the Combat Zone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:

each MAIN CHARACTER draws a card (so 5 cards are drawn), not just the players. If a non-player Main Character has the tall card (or if there is a tie, like you said), then no one wins. (I don't recall there being anything that discarded/defeated the Side Job itself in that situation, so it can be attempted again on another turn, at least until it hits the Combat Zone).

I don't have the card in front of me at the moment. But how can a non-"real" Main Character (i.e., one attached to a player) draw a card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

I don't have the card in front of me at the moment. But how can a non-"real" Main Character (i.e., one attached to a player) draw a card?

Same way they draw a crew strike. Or same way that Serenity draws a ship strike.

and the actual text is that a card from the crew deck is "dealt to" each Main Character.

When I first played that side job, I had the same misinterpretation as you and only dealt cards to each player, which meant they only way to not complete the job would be if there was a tie for tall card. But after closer review I noticed that cards were dealt to all Main Characters, only only if a player (which is even bolded on the card) has tall card, was the job successfully completed.
In a 5-player (or five hand/deck) game, it doesn't matter, but as the number of players gets fewer, the odds of "winning" that draw becomes smaller, which I suppose is a slight counterbalance towards the general tendancy of the game overall which is more easily won with 2 players (since the player decks improve faster).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
I forgot to check the text last night. But yes, wording between drawing a card, and the MC drawing a card, would make a difference.

THanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.