Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Gilbank
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or does the cost of this one seem way higher than what's in the box? The first game was only $50 this comes in a $40 but doesn't have any of the plastic pawns or the board.

Also the big news they are announcing is making me feel uneasy being someone that has bought both the first and second EP already, as the Rumour is they are getting picked up and getting a premium version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there are laser-cut chipboard pawns that will replace all current crew members and aliens (that's 52 pieces total). I don't know why they've opted for this route when they could have just added the sticker & plastic standees that came with Episode 1 (if I remember correctly, the KS backers could have gotten the wooden half-body meeples).

I'm less concerned about the cost and more concerned about the recent change from big box to small box (after they announced months ago that Episode 3's box would be of sufficient size to hold all accumulated TCiD content). I also don't know what the "big surprise" is, but after Fun Forge totally screwed the PR pooch over its Tokaido Collector's Edition, I'll watch and wait to pledge until I get a better idea of what TGC staff is planning.

Hope they're reading this forum and reach out to their backers with more timely and transparent news. I backed 1 & 2 but will pass on 3 if they cannot do a better job of reaching out to the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gilbank
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that was my concern with the Laser cutting seems like a way cheaper piece then giving use the plastic pawns with stickers. I'm sure the big announcement will be some kind of collector's edition of all 3 but if I was someone that pledged for all 3 I would be pretty mad about that.

I hope that the new new box has some kind of card storage if they are planning on having us box all 3 there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
So from what the Kickstarter comments are saying, it seems like the original supplier of the plastic standees no longer makes that product. This left the designers in a dilemma to either A) include a different standee for the new expansion aliens and 3 new characters or B) find an affordable way to create all of the standees to be included in this expansion.

Now they could have gone with option A to decrease cost further but I imagine there would have been plenty of backers complaining that the standees did not match. Given the KS backers for the original game may have 2 different versions of the standees that would have made it even more difficult to make everyone happy.

As far as the cost in general, this expansion basically includes alternate versions of every card from the original game along with the new standees and new mechanics cards for this episode. I would say the $10 reduction is fair given they could have included a board and charged the full $50 as a new game instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gilbank
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just do new plastic standee's for all the characters and stickers. I have other games with the laser cut standees and I can say first hand they blow. The come covered in the soot(they mentioned) but punching them never happens cleanly the art will tear on at least 1 and that just runs the entire package for me. At least with my OCD.

This new version of the game is also worrying (if its a better quality I will have buy it), Not sure I care for the idea that the new expansion are going to be stand alone games either, sounds like they are trying to sell the game but keep making new games using its success but they aren't expansion seems odd, like they are trying to have their cake and eat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
The cost is what it costs. I can't tell you anything that's going to make you happy about that other than it's practically a full replacement of the game.

We now have a standalone edition that is $59. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thegamecrafter/the-capt... Why? Cuz it's a big heavy box that costs us $15 to ship, plus we have to make the board and the bigger box.

As for the pawns, the laser cut ones have no tearing issues at all. We make our pawns in a very different way than Victory Point Games. We had to replace the pawns for everyone because we screwed up in our first campaign and allowed our backers to choose 2 different sets of pawns. So now we have to make it so everyone has the same stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyne1319 wrote:
Not sure I care for the idea that the new expansion are going to be stand alone games either, sounds like they are trying to sell the game but keep making new games using its success but they aren't expansion seems odd, like they are trying to have their cake and eat it.

I think the reason the expansions will be "standalone" is that Episode 3 already replaces all components except the board. New alert cards, new subsystems, new items, even new skills and role cards. For good reason, since Ep3 doesn't include external threats, so things like shields, missiles, or external scanners don't make sense, as do many of the original role cards (which are based on the Ep1/2 subsystems).

My understanding of Episode 4 is that it will be the first "away" mission. So it will likely no longer be on the ship, which means even the board will have to change, and any role abilities having to do with ship systems won't apply. Skill cards may change too (to be more exploration based), as might the enemies.

So if you need a new board and all cards are different, and the only thing remaining the same is the pawns, why make it require the first game (when the only thing needed to make it "standalone" is a laser cut pawn sheet or two)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.