Hide
17 Posts

Castles of Mad King Ludwig» Forums » Rules

Subject: Downstairs: Scoring Bonuses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly Counsell
msg tools
Hey guys! Quick question for how you guys play...

I have seen a lot of different ways on how downstairs rooms are played. As per the instructions, we play thus;

When a downstairs room is placed in the castle, whatever icon is shown in the middle of the room, for the room bonus, we take a point for each one of those rooms in the hcastle. And this counts towards future rooms. So if for example say a Living Room was featured as the bonus for your downstairs room, and I have 4 of them in my castle I take 4 bonus rooms points and for every living room title I add in the future I take my bonus point.

Can't wait to see what everyone else does
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how downstairs rooms work. You get the room points + the bonus points for every room of that type in the castle, both now and future-placements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I played with that downstairs bonus. I believe the official app game also plays it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Call
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you play any way other then how the rules state?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcall wrote:

I think it is more of others not understanding the rules and playing incorrectly vs choosing to play another way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcall wrote:

We're all mad here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this once, so please excuse my ignorance.

It seems to me as I played this that it would be easier to score downstairs bonus points after the game rather than remember to add those points after you add the applicable room although the tiny icons could make it tricky for players to see what someone else needs, so this may provide a reminder to those players.

It may also not be that difficult to remember as downstairs rooms seem to possibly be a late-game strategy. In my game, I dove immediately into downstairs rooms due to one of the favors being tied to them. That just made my game more difficult since my wife knew early on to try to screw me out of food and sleeping rooms. If these are intended to be late-game strategies, then very little might be gained by scoring the downstairs room afterward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeek LTK
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:
I've only played this once, so please excuse my ignorance.

It seems to me as I played this that it would be easier to score downstairs bonus points after the game rather than remember to add those points after you add the applicable room although the tiny icons could make it tricky for players to see what someone else needs, so this may provide a reminder to those players.

It may also not be that difficult to remember as downstairs rooms seem to possibly be a late-game strategy. In my game, I dove immediately into downstairs rooms due to one of the favors being tied to them. That just made my game more difficult since my wife knew early on to try to screw me out of food and sleeping rooms. If these are intended to be late-game strategies, then very little might be gained by scoring the downstairs room afterward.

Well, you have to buy the rooms when you can. If basement rooms come up early, someone's going to get them. The downside is that, yes, your opponents know what rooms you will get a bonus for, but on the flip side, at least no one else is getting that bonus since you have the basement room already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Hahl
Finland
flag msg tools
We have been VERY confused about the cellar point rulings.

Main scoring rules state that you would also score the middle of the room points IF you connect an open door way to the door. Nothing in cellar rules state otherwise, yet no where people mention this.

So is this correct? If not, why?

1) Player has 2 blue rooms in their castle

2) Place +2/point per blue room cellar room (2 doors) to stairs (1 points from tile and 4 points from two blue rooms)

3) Take the reward from the finished stairs (+2p/blue cellar room finished this)

4) Put a corridor/new stairs to finish the +2p/blue room -cellar tile

5) Doorway connects and due to the door connection, adjacent rooms are scored again for the middle portion (4p from blue rooms)

6) If this was 2nd/4th/6th cellar room, pick a cellar completion reward

7) Pick "purple / score again" - add 1+4 points again

8) Add any blue room to castle = score +2p extra as stated by cellar tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc McConley
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Legal Blokus board using all the pieces
mbmbmbmbmb
Artifex28 wrote:

5) Doorway connects and due to the door connection, adjacent rooms are scored again for the middle portion (4p from blue rooms)

I think everything is right except for this. You only rescore a completed room if it is a living room (purple) or if you choose the rescore completion bonus for the 2nd/4th/... downstairs room (your steps 6-7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Hahl
Finland
flag msg tools
DominionFamily wrote:
Artifex28 wrote:

I think everything is right except for this. You only rescore a completed room if it is a living room (purple) or if you choose the rescore completion bonus for the 2nd/4th/... downstairs room (your steps 6-7).

Are you sure? The rules (in Finnish) clearly state that when you get ANY doorway connection with the tile you place, you'll check the scoring in the middle on the adjacent room(s) that have door way connection.

Nothing indicates that this wouldn't apply to cellars. The doorway mark on the non-cellar rooms is there just to indicate that the scoring will be limited to only the doorway connection.

I'd really like to get this clarified for a fact. English rules available in PDF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artifex28 wrote:

Are you sure? The rules (in Finnish) clearly state that when you get ANY doorway connection with the tile you place, you'll check the scoring in the middle on the adjacent room(s) that have door way connection.

I haven't read the finnish rules (language barrier), but I'm pretty sure I know what passage is translated there.

It does not tell you to score the same points again, it tells you to check the room again, to see if your newly placed room increases their bonus.

So if you have a room that scores 2 points per adjacent blue room, you score for adjacent blue rooms when you place it. If you later place an additional blue room next to it, you get another 2 points for the old room, but you do not score the "old" blue rooms again.

The only time the same adjacency scores twice is if you finish a purple room.

EDIT: For your cellar room, this would mean that you get a 2 point bonus every time you place a new blue room in your castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... and the rules are available in english here:

http://www.world-of-board-games.com.sg/docs/Castles-Mad-King...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc McConley
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Legal Blokus board using all the pieces
mbmbmbmbmb
Artifex28 wrote:
DominionFamily wrote:
Artifex28 wrote:

Nothing indicates that this wouldn't apply to cellars. The doorway mark on the non-cellar rooms is there just to indicate that the scoring will be limited to only the doorway connection.

I'd really like to get this clarified for a fact. English rules available in PDF?

Upstairs rooms have connection bonuses that score for every room of the indicated type connected to it. Downstairs rooms have bonuses that score for every room of the indicated type in the castle. You can tell by the icons showing the scoring bonus - the upstairs rooms have a picture of a doorway next to the points and the room type; the downstairs rooms don't.

Bottom right corner of p.3 of English rulebook (see also the pictures of the icons there) wrote:

Many room types provide "connected" points if entrances from the current room are connected to entrances of rooms of specific types.

Downstairs rooms provide points based on how many rooms of a certain type you have in your castle. See the Downstairs Rooms section on page 4 for more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Hahl
Finland
flag msg tools
Dulkal wrote:
Artifex28 wrote:

I haven't read the finnish rules (language barrier), but I'm pretty sure I know what passage is translated there.

It does not tell you to score the same points again, it tells you to check the room again, to see if your newly placed room increases their bonus.

So if you have a room that scores 2 points per adjacent blue room, you score for adjacent blue rooms when you place it. If you later place an additional blue room next to it, you get another 2 points for the old room, but you do not score the "old" blue rooms again.

The only time the same adjacency scores twice is if you finish a purple room.

EDIT: For your cellar room, this would mean that you get a 2 point bonus every time you place a new blue room in your castle.

Thanks a lot. This is what poor translations get you.

The step by step scoring mentions after putting a tile:

(Translated to english):

"Do you know have a connection through a doorway? Check if you gain points through it."

And as cellar rules just show: X points per room type, there's nothing to indicate you would't get the score again from all rooms of that type when you get a doorway connected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Hahl
Finland
flag msg tools
DominionFamily wrote:
Artifex28 wrote:
DominionFamily wrote:
Artifex28 wrote:

Upstairs rooms have connection bonuses that score for every room of the indicated type connected to it. Downstairs rooms have bonuses that score for every room of the indicated type in the castle. You can tell by the icons showing the scoring bonus - the upstairs rooms have a picture of a doorway next to the points and the room type; the downstairs rooms don't.

Bottom right corner of p.3 of English rulebook (see also the pictures of the icons there) wrote:

Many room types provide "connected" points if entrances from the current room are connected to entrances of rooms of specific types.

Downstairs rooms provide points based on how many rooms of a certain type you have in your castle. See the Downstairs Rooms section on page 4 for more details.

The rules list the scoring starting from worst and going to the best.
First the music/action room penalty, then upstairs next room connection and lastly the cellar for every room.

The general scoring rooms are on separate place on the rulebook and do NOT say to exclude cellar scoring on connected doorways in Finnish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric VB
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kuildeous wrote:
It seems to me as I played this that it would be easier to score downstairs bonus points after the game rather than remember to add those points after you add the applicable room

This is a good point. I played yesterday and I had built 4 downstairs rooms and kept forgetting to claim my bonus points as I added new upstairs rooms. Can the downstairs room center bonuses be scored in a separate step at the end of the game? You'd still have to calculate the room completion rescoring bonus at the time you completed the room, if you picked that one when completing your 2nd, 4th, etc., room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.