Secret Hitler» Forums » General

Subject: Social Experiment - "Red Scare" variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LousyG
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Came up with a silly, absurd idea last night for a variant that could be used as a social experiment.

"Red Scare" is effectively (maybe some slight modifications with numbers of policy cards) the same game as SH, re-themed, where the capitalist majority tries to find the communist traitors (open to suggestions for the "Hitler" equivalent). Except there's one twist - there are no communist party cards provided with the game. Everybody is a capitalist.

Obviously this has limited (nay, NO) replay value, and with the wrong group the gag may not go over well. But I think it'd be good for some laughs, and might really open some eyes after a whole game of everybody second-guessing every single little nit, insisting "She's a communist!" and "No, HE'S the red!" only to find at the end that everyone was innocent all along.

If it didn't waste too much time and was immediately followed up by a real game of SH, it might work. Maybe it has better effect as a short exercise in a history classroom. Anyway, I chuckled a bit when I thought of the idea and thought someone else might appreciate it.

If any one decides to actually try it out (don't come back and blame me!), I'd love to hear how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
msg tools
This has been done quite often in the Tabletop Simulator implementation of Secret Hitler. No fascists, just all liberal. Like most things of this nature, it's funny once.

Another even better 'gag' Secret Hitler game is where every player is dealt as Hitler. It really does play out very well, with the other players very surprised when Hitler is inevitably voted in as Chancellor after the third fascist policy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sexton
United States
Warren
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I used a variant of this when I taught the red scare in high school called Communist Scum. Fun lesson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.