GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,045 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

tim p
United Kingdom
Margate
Kent
flag msg tools
Do these exist?

I can see a lot of boardgames converted to mobile phone versions.
And mobile apps to help calculate board game positions. Or play wargames remotely.

But are there a selection of games where :

1) all the players have mobiles.
2) there is a shared board or components on the table.
3) the players use the phones to play.

They could keep track of the game by moving the components - Using the phones to pass messages or bid secretly or plan moves or store characters or trigger distractions or a hundred other things not yet invented...

Is there a name for these type of games - I couldn't find them?
They will surely be part of the future of gaming.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
World of Yo-Ho is the only one I can think of.

For non-board games, the jackbox series of games does the same sort of thing, where each person uses their phone as a buzzer, or gets their own information on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know of only one - Alchemists. And for that the phone is not the focus of the game, so probably not what you're looking for.

Although strictly speaking you can make do with only one phone or even no phone if one person is willing to just be the dummy and not play at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily a board game, but a Roleplaying game, its called Eon Altar. Every player has his phone for controls and "thoughts" and is watching the game on a big screen like a tv. Its a pretty neat concept wrapped in a basic role playing/dungeon crawler. How they incorporated role playing between the NPCs and player or player and player is what i find especially refreshing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your question talks about 2 ways that phones and board games have been combined:
Quote:
boardgames converted to mobile phone versions.
And mobile apps to help calculate board game positions. Or play wargames remotely.

I'm not sure either of those cover games like:
XCOM: The Board Game
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend
Expedition: The Roleplaying Card Game
where the app is definitely doing more than just calculating board game positions. They do all fall into the second category of the thread title ("boardgames with mobile use required"). But they don't fall into your other category of "all players" "using the phones to play".

There was also a co-op game that required some german "smart pen" device to play. I don't remember the name.

Generally board games with apps required have been referred to as "hybrids", but it seems like you're looking for a finer distinction.

World of Yo-Ho is a good suggestion of a game where each player has his or her own phone.

I would put Alchemists in a category of something like passive assistants, just a step above "soundtrack" games like Escape: The Curse of the Temple and Space Alert (which can be done with just a CD, but randomization is a nice option).

As always, my recommendation/plea for designers and publishers is to release the app source code. That way, users can translate it to different languages, port it to other platforms (e.g. Linux desktop), and continue to maintain it even if the publisher loses interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim p
United Kingdom
Margate
Kent
flag msg tools
Good I'm glad they don't exist - or only in a limited way.
I'm gonna invent some.
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim p
United Kingdom
Margate
Kent
flag msg tools
Here's another game Beasts of Balance which also isn't quite what I had in mind. It uses a tablet to set balancing challenges on a shared board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim p
United Kingdom
Margate
Kent
flag msg tools
It would be a good way to simulate the Fog of War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim p
United Kingdom
Margate
Kent
flag msg tools
They should be called Mobile Boardgames or MOBO games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.