Subject: Question about stacking items and improving skills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
Quick question about stacking items and skills.

If you increase your will with +2 (gaining a +2 token for your character) and also get a will bonus from an item, do you get 4 extra dice in a will test?

And if you have two items with a will bonus, you only get the highest bonus right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeroen3h wrote:

If you increase your will with +2 (gaining a +2 token for your character) and also get a will bonus from an item, do you get 4 extra dice in a will test?

And if you have two items with a will bonus, you only get the highest bonus right?

Yes, assuming the item also gave you a +2 to Will, and yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
andrewbwm wrote:
jeroen3h wrote:

Thank, yes assuming the item also gives +2 to will.

And if you have two items, one with +2 to will and one with +1 to will and the choice to reroll 1 dice. You get both the +2 to will and the reroll option am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeroen3h wrote:
andrewbwm wrote:
jeroen3h wrote:

Thank, yes assuming the item also gives +2 to will.

And if you have two items, one with +2 to will and one with +1 to will and the choice to reroll 1 dice. You get both the +2 to will and the reroll option am I right?

Right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
No wonder we thought it was super easy with 10 dice for some skills
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this game appears super easy at any time, odds are you're doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 10 dice is possible for strength only, but incredibly rare. Keep in mind the following:
* the highest base starting skill for any investigator is 4
* the bonus from improvement tokens is capped at +2
* the highest bonus an item provides to a skill other than strength is +2 (I could be wrong here, but I don't really recall anything higher)

That would put you at a maximum of 8 dice for a skill, and even then you'd have to be super super focused on that skill to get there.
The cap for strength is probably 14 dice (4 base strength, +2 improvement, +6 from lightning rifle, +2 from being Hank Samson).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
I think 10 dice is possible for strength only, but incredibly rare. Keep in mind the following:
* the highest bonus an item provides to a skill other than strength is +2 (I could be wrong here, but I don't really recall anything higher)

That would put you at a maximum of 8 dice for a skill, and even then you'd have to be super super focused on that skill to get there.
The cap for strength is probably 14 dice (4 base strength, +2 improvement, +6 from lightning rifle, +2 from being Hank Samson).

Or if you play like we did, just use 5 weapons at the same time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeroen3h wrote:

Or if you play like we did, just use 5 weapons at the same time

Dual wielding is for chumps! Quintuple wielding is where it's at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

Highest combat of 4, improved twice to 6, use Sword of Jerome for +5... 11 combat dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

Highest combat of 4, improved twice to 6, use Sword of Jerome for +5... 11 combat dice.

Try the lightning gun (+6 str). Plus the urban guide, extra die from Jim, .32 pocket, .25 automatic.

And the ability to nudge dice with the derringer, rolls from.... well, lots of stuff, 6s count double from azure flange...

It can add up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

Am I missing something? Hank Samson does't get a stacking +2 dice for combat...

The Sledgehammer doesn't stack with any other bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

Am I missing something? Hank Samson does't get a stacking +2 dice for combat...

The Sledgehammer doesn't stack with any other bonuses.

Good catch, I mixed up investigator powers. I meant Zoey Samaras, not Hank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some additional questions on stacking:

If I have an ally that gives me +1 Strength and an item/weapon that gives me +2 strength in combat, do I get +1 all the time and +3 in combat, or +1 normally and +2 in combat?

Would a talent (like martial artist) be allowed to stack on top of that?

Also, with the spirit dagger or ritual dagger or something, the user gets +1 Mind and +2 Strength in combat. Is it possible to use that item for +1 Mind and another item (say the Tommy Gun) for its bonus to strength?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:

If I have an ally that gives me +1 Strength and an item/weapon that gives me +2 strength in combat, do I get +1 all the time and +3 in combat, or +1 normally and +2 in combat?

One, highest, "Gain +X" bonus. Period.
Everything else stacks. Period.

cervantes3773 wrote:
Also, with the spirit dagger or ritual dagger or something, the user gets +1 Mind and +2 Strength in combat. Is it possible to use that item for +1 Mind and another item (say the Tommy Gun) for its bonus to strength?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
cervantes3773 wrote:

One, highest, "Gain +X" bonus. Period.
Everything else stacks. Period.

cervantes3773 wrote:
Yes.

Great, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Just because a "gain +x" has further restrictions (like "in combat", "while spellcasting", "in research encounters") does not make it any less of a "gain +x" bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yesterday we had a guy with 2 cards that give you a clue when you defeat a monster. F*** clues tokens, give me monsters!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.