Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, so far all the reviewers who have played this have liked it...however even the Miami Dice review had Tom calling it the best game ever, Zee liking it and Sam liking it but less than the others (of course, Sam doesn't like programming games so that is a factor).

I will reserve judgment on the gameplay until I try it but here is the question for the day...if the game has worse components, or if the components were as they are and the game cost $150, would everyone be gushing as much as they are now. Case in point...see the Miami Dice review of Cthulhu Wars...

Of course, if I can I will probably buy a copy...unless thay tell me that the game is $75 and it costs $50 to ship :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was prepared to pay $200 for this game as presented. I'm floored by its price tag, but I was going to buy it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A large part of the gushing was the price point, so I think it's fair to say the reviews wouldn't be as positive had Asmodee set the price. However, I think their comments on component quality and gameplay still stand and it appears by all accounts to be a terrific game. The insanely low price is just icing on the cake.

Diarmud wrote:
O course, if I can I will probably buy a copy...unless thay tell me that the game is $75 and it costs $50 to ship :-)

Oh yeah, sorry to our friends in the great white north and our mates down under. That sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am mostly interested in Robo Rally + pseudo Legacy aspects of the game. Even with fewer minis or higher price, I'd still buy it. The fact that there are lots of minis with low price just sweeten the deal for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely plays a part in the hype for sure. My experience watching a review on TDT was interested > intrigued > add to watch list > excited > floored from the price > insta-buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30$ for Canadian shipping is ridic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may have misheard Tom. His favorite game, I would imagine, is still Cosmic Encounter.

Let's not overhype...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:

As much as I would like to see a better Canadian distribution, $30 buck for an ~11 lbs (5 kg) box isn't that bad either in comparison swan panasia expect me to pay $24 of shipping for 4 packs of sleeves. Let's just hope they will not use UPS to ship them because I wouldn't want to have to pay an additional $50 for some custom clearance fee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has a lot going for it:

--Established universe with built-in fanbase

--Amazing components

--Great set of initial reviews

--Story based campaign, that has some legacy-style elements

--Low price point relative to other similar games

--Cool mechanisms, done in a way that even people who don't like programmable games are interested

I would say that in a literal sense, taking away any one of these items would probably reduce the size and speed of the hype train ... but even with a higher price point, there's little doubt in my mind that it would still be highly sought after, and be sitting at the top of the BGG 'The Hotness' list.

It's worth noting that many KS campaigns with higher price points still generate a ton of buzz, a ton of hype, and a lot of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
I think you may have misheard Tom. His favorite game, I would imagine, is still Cosmic Encounter.

Let's not overhype...

...And wasn't Tom involved in some of the final design process anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SSGMightyMouse wrote:
It definitely plays a part in the hype for sure. My experience watching a review on TDT was interested > intrigued > add to watch list > excited > floored from the price > insta-buy.

This was definitely my path. Actually, I'll just add that a friend suggested I look into it and I shrugged it off immediately because of almost a dozen pre-orders and Kickstarter games I'm expecting.

EDIT: And I should add that if the game had "standard" board gaming components and price, I would most definitely pass. So the toy factor and uniqueness of this game is definitely a factor.

ThunderingGiraffe wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

As much as I would like to see a better Canadian distribution, $30 buck for an ~11 lbs (5 kg) box isn't that bad either in comparison swan panasia expect me to pay $24 of shipping for 4 packs of sleeves. Let's just hope they will not use UPS to ship them because I wouldn't want to have to pay an additional $50 for some custom clearance fee.

My estimate is it will end up being around $165CAD all said and done. My math goes as follows $75 + $30 = $100 USD = $135 CAD + customs and handling fees $30 CAD = $165 CAD. Now if you add in FedEx or some other shipping company then you may need to add an extra $20 onto that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Game looks fun enough, but if it was $150 it would be lumped in with Cthulhu Wars. Neat to look at, but overproduced for what it is. This game is at least unique though. Cthulu Wars is just a watered down rip off of Chaos in the Old World at 3.5x the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think it would be. Double the cost would still be a steal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:
Well, so far all the reviewers who have played this have liked it...however even the Miami Dice review had Tom calling it the best game ever...
I don't think he ever said that. He mentioned it was a 10 production-wise.
heretic_dave wrote:
He consulted on it, as he explained in the review, and suggested making it a coop. He says the game was 50% done, which makes sense since the campaign was a added after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heretic_dave wrote:
Riot Kades wrote:

Let's not overhype...

I believe they asked him to try the game and give his thoughts and feedback, which they then incorporated into the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Of course it wouldn't be as hot if it was more expensive. Just like it wouldn't be as hot if it the miniatures didn't have a wash, it didn't have prepainted heroes, it didn't have spot UV to make there oil glossy or it didn't have an awesome insert. Each aspect adds to the hotness.

However the price is unique because they are selling it direct so they can cut out distribution and retail which could have doubled there price. Another aspect which was mentioned in the Secret Cabal podcast was that this game is being exposed to such a large audience is equally exciting, similar to when a board game is featured on a prime time television show.

Personally being a fan of Space Alert, this game looks really interesting. It's more Euroy and less Ameritrashy than I would have guessed which is really nice because that's less common for these higher production games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moretheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderingGiraffe wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

I just checked an item in the web store. For that, they are using UPS i parcel. What that means is they charge you our taxes when you check out. They would also add duties if necessary, but there are no duty charges for boardgames.

So, for the $25 item I tested, the shipping was $10. The taxes were maybe 65 cents over what I would expect at 13% in my province (maybe they have to charge local taxes when the sell it or?). So on $35 including shipping the extra fee from UPS was less than a dollar, and I would pay it up front.

It is a "fully landed" service from UPS, and part of the reason shipping and handling will be as high as it is is because we won't be charged $5 plus 13% from Canada Post or $I_don't_want_to_know_argh from a traditional UPS shipment. What you pay when you click "yes charge my card now pls" is all you pay.

Feel free to confirm everything I said. And you should probably make sure they are using a fully landed service when you buy the game, like they do for other items, or what I said about i parcel won't apply.

There are a lot of misconceptions about shipping to Canada so hopefully you are able to confirm what I wrote above and get a better understanding of what you'll be charged when you buy things from the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:
Well, so far all the reviewers who have played this have liked it...however even the Miami Dice review had Tom calling it the best game ever

I think if you go back and watch the video you'll find that he called it the best game he's played this year. That's still a pretty strong commentary in a decent year for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moretheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
My estimate is it will end up being around $165CAD all said and done. My math goes as follows $75 + $30 = $100 USD = $135 CAD + customs and handling fees $30 CAD = $165 CAD. Now if you add in FedEx or some other shipping company then you may need to add an extra $20 onto that...

My math comes out to approx $160 CAD as well, but that there will be no additional fees from the courier on arrival even though it uses the scary word "UPS", as explained in my post above.

That is assuming the quoted $30 shipping is correct, I do not know where that number came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
but there are no duty charges for boardgames.

There were quite a few reports from people across several Canadian provinces, including Ontario, that were charged customs for the Assault on Doomrock KS that was shipped from Poland. Was that because it was from outside North America?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
That is assuming the quoted $30 shipping is correct, I do not know where that number came from.

Rodney Smith quoted that price in his youtube video description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moretheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
fortheloveofdice wrote:

There were quite a few reports from people across several Canadian provinces, including Ontario, that were charged customs for the Assault on Doomrock KS that was shipped from Poland. Was that because it was from outside North America?

It would be a few things:

1) by "duties" it would be HST. People seem to usually confuse "taxes and duties" and call something duties. Boardgames are taxable in Canada even if they come from elsewhere.
So why do people seem to not get charged sometimes?
. 1 a) you can get lucky at the border and not get charged
. 1 b) maybe you were charged by the sender already

2) they were probably including whatever the courier company charged as a fee for the privilege collecting the HST (or whatever your local tax is). If traditional post is used, Canada Post will charge you $5 to do that, but it can be huge for courier companies.

3) it was obviously not a fully landed service used to ship

And no, originating country does not matter.

I will try to find the Canadian duties page to link here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moretheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
fortheloveofdice wrote:

Rodney Smith quoted that price in his youtube video description.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:
fortheloveofdice wrote:

It would be a few things:

1) by "duties" it would be HST. People seem to usually confuse "taxes and duties" and call something duties. Boardgames are taxable in Canada even if they come from elsewhere.
So why do people seem to not get charged sometimes?
. 1 a) you can get lucky at the border and not get charged
. 1 b) maybe you were charged by the sender already

2) they were probably including whatever the courier company charged as a fee for the privilege collecting the HST (or whatever your local tax is). If traditional post is used, Canada Post will charge you $5 to do that, but it can be huge for courier companies.

3) it was obviously not a fully landed service used to ship

And no, originating country does not matter.

I will try to find the Canadian duties page to link here.

Full disclosure: for some reason I was not charged anything extra for the Assault on Doomrock KS, however there were reports out of Ontario and across Canada of having to pay (I think) $22. So I don't know what to make of it. (On a tangent, this is a reason I will probably pass on the This War of Mine KS out of Poland as well. I don't think it's worth the risk instead of just buying at retail.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting coop game with 10 unique feeling missions. It appears to have loads of replayability due to the different difficulty levels and skills. It's a must have game for me based on that. The components and price are just icing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.