Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been working my way through the missions in solo play, first the standard, and now in the Wulfsburg. The transition to Wulfsburg added so much with the addition of the different Survivors, the Wolfz, Wolfbomination and magic items. I recently finished Quest 7: Blood Red, which I was looking forward to, as Mission C7: 300 was one of my favorite Season 1 missions, and was hoping for a similar feel. What I realized while playing, I had been feeling for the past few missions. My survivors get to the point where everyone has one or two magic/vault weapons and as they approach orange and red, I am capable of clearing the board every turn. I even let a necromancer escape to get more zombies on the board, but it just meant finishing the game quicker. There are 10 magic items and 2 vault weapons with these two sets.

Does anyone reduce the number of magic items for a 6 Survivor game? I'm finding that Silas with a Chaos Bow or Samson with the Earthquake Hammer quickly reduces the feeling of threat on the board. An early Vampire Crossbow makes abominations less than a threat, also. I'm thinking of only using one less than the number of Survivors, just so the basic equip stays relevant, also.

I'm saying this with some, but limited experience playing with the other extras (Survivors beyond the basics, multiple abominations and necromancers, crowzs, deadeye walkers, npcs...these will be added to my solo play after the book quests have had their initial play through). Please share your experiences with certain types of equipment and how adding components changed their usefulness/relevance in the game. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Huang
msg tools
I feel the game is just too easy in general and the cards introduced in Wulfsburg are too strong - the major problem being that the cards introduced really ruin the balance of the base deck.

I play with the variant which involves abominations having set HP instead of die instantly to 3 damage weapons. I also diluted the equipment deck with a bunch of Meat/Water/Fruits/Ahhs! to increase loot rarity. We play with 4 survivors, the balance seems much better that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeaddEyes are the thing you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
br bre
msg tools
In my own opinion. The game seems horribly balanced, especially with wulfsburg. You either roll through the game or end up searching the majority of it, in my experience.

If you want a tougher game you can have a look at my house rules, my own group plays with these and we're 6 players that think they work better than vanilla rules.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f0jQ7o4lqkEa9yGKoaUGHKTU...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Clansman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We've been working our way through the Dormammu's "Simple Campaign for KS Backers" (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1596701/simple-campaign-ks-...) and were starting to experience the same. Find the Chaos Longbow. Give it to Genevieve. Rain dragon fire on anything that moves. Win. Also, NPCs became a bit pointless after half-way through the game, by which stage we had all the vault weapons.

So we adopted a couple of variants.

Firstly, ClarkGryphyn's Abomination health points (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1610444/clarkgryphyns-house...) (though we currently retain Dragon Fire's ability to kill Abominations). This removes the ability of Survivors with a "+1 Damage" skill to drop an Abomination with a single shot from a level 2 weapon, but enables a collective team attack with Level 2 weapons. (And if you're up against multiple types of Abomination, having to concentrate fire on one at a time whilst also keeping the lesser zombies under control adds a whole new level of pain and misery challenge!

Secondly, having sleeved all of our cards, I put foreign language vault cards down the back of all of the Wulfsberg "special weapons" and added them to the vault pile. At present, players still get to trade NPCs for their choice of weapon. One could make it harder by making them draw randomly.

As a result, killing NPCs is far more important and keeps being important through the the game. Abominations are more difficult to kill. The game is more challenging.

We've got as far as "Trial By Fire" in the Campaign. We went from a reasonably strong position to a completely annihilated team in three moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Clansman wrote:
Find the Chaos Longbow. Give it to Genevieve. Rain dragon fire on anything that moves. Win.

You do know that there are way simpler twist to stop this combo of working?
Like stoping doing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Clansman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
XofMdS wrote:
The Clansman wrote:
Find the Chaos Longbow. Give it to Genevieve. Rain dragon fire on anything that moves. Win.

You do know that there are way simpler twist to stop this combo of working?
Like stoping doing it

We thought about that. But in the context of a Zombie apocalypse, actively choosing not to do something which would be helpful felt...daft?

We could also have chosen not to play Genevieve, but are working through a campaign where dead Survivors are eliminated from future missions, so didn't really want to kill her off unnecessarily.

Tweaking the game mechanics felt like a better solution, at least for us. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the HP to the abominations would really help the balance and flavor of the game. It will also allow me to use some of my Survivors with the +1 damage and Super Strength, which I thought were overpowering to start. With the magic weapons, I'm going to try a few random ones in the deck, and make the rest vault weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.