Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with their timeframe (too optimistic), but overall I suspect they're right:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-22/robot-ride...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to the day of the automated car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
One of the ingredients for Totalitarianism is to control free movement and travel among the populace. So . . . yeah. I'm sure our Central Planners are all over this idea.
But charging does not restrict freedom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple possible responses to this:

A. It's awesome that technology is being used to improve our lives by reducing transit times, nearly eliminating traffic injuries and fatalities and giving us more freedom by giving us back the time that used to belong to the act of driving.

B. Government bad!

I choose A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
One of the ingredients for Totalitarianism is to control free movement and travel among the populace. So . . . yeah. I'm sure our Central Planners are all over this idea.

The govt has been in the automotive regulation business for a long time. What specifically do you object to here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
A couple possible responses to this:

A. It's awesome that technology is being used to improve our lives by reducing transit times, nearly eliminating traffic injuries and fatalities and giving us more freedom by giving us back the time that used to belong to the act of driving.

B. Government bad!

I choose A.

I choose C.

C. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still want to drive.
Driving is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
I still want to drive.
Driving is fun.
So don't use freeways, problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We did this thread already. Trey was anti-.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for this to become a viable alternative. Humans are terrible drivers, even the ones who aren't drunk or asleep at the wheel (myself included). Let's hope for it to eventually take off on non-freeway roads as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Glad I'm old enough I won't live to see this. Like Dash said, driving is fun, and I like to drive. Since I pay taxes, I want to drive on the highway. Screw our robot overlords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Driving hundreds of miles on motorways in Britain is dull, monotonous and boring. I can only imagine what driving thousands of miles on a freeway in the US is like.

Computerise the roads. Install wifi on them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Glad I'm old enough I won't live to see this. Like Dash said, driving is fun, and I like to drive. Since I pay taxes, I want to drive on the highway. Screw our robot overlords.
Are Freeways free to use now then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

I want to see this myself. Since I can't see well enough to drive, I look forward to a day when that just doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
I can't wait for this to become a viable alternative. Humans are terrible drivers, even the ones who aren't drunk or asleep at the wheel (myself included). Let's hope for it to eventually take off on non-freeway roads as well.
I agree. Also, the NRA must be for this 100 percent, their members are always going on about how dangerous cars are and how something must be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Yes. We have "turnpikes" in the US that do charge every 20-25 miles or so, but most highways/freeways/interstates don't charge per usage. However, all of them were built in full or in part with taxes. So free is a relative term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Yes. We have "turnpikes" in the US that do charge every 20-25 miles or so, but most highways/freeways/interstates don't charge per usage. However, all of them were built in full or in part with taxes. So free is a relative term.
Odd I am sire that one of our finest used toll freeways, and private run ones at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The faster we ban human drivers, the better.

Tens of thousands of lives saved a year. Faster commute times (almost zero traffic ever). No downsides, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

I am sure that there could still be private 'road' circuits with an exciting layout with lots of swoops and hills and things for those who still want to drive for fun.

I'm not a driver myself but I guess a nice 20 or 30 mile circuit as described is going to be more fun than your morning commute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

I am sure that there could still be private 'road' circuits with an exciting layout with lots of swoops and hills and things for those who still want to drive for fun.

I'm not a driver myself but I guess a nice 20 or 30 mile circuit as described is going to be more fun than your morning commute.

Or alternately you could just play a driving video game while your robot was driving you to work. Think Microsoft Driving simulator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
No downsides, really.

You would lose the freedom to kill another driver. What are you a communist or something? The American dream is to be able to kill anyone for anything at anytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Are you over 90? If not, there is a damned good chance you'll live long enough to see this happen, at least on some roads. Very likely this will happen in the 10 to 15 year time frame. In any case, you'll also be very happy to make use of a cheap method of transportation when you get too old to be able to drive reliably. Earlier this year I bought what I assume will be the last car I'll ever own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real issue as I see it is if they require everyone to purchase a new self-driving car. I don't want to buy a new car. I just got one this year.

If they set it up like a service (like uber) where you can just order a pickup and drop off then that would be great, but then you have cars traveling extra miles before pickup and drop off which leads to more pollution and traffic.

My guess is that the real solution will be a slow transition to self-driving cars over the next 20 years. At some point certain roads (like freeways) will become self-driving only. But I think the transition will be a long one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Styro wrote:
If they set it up like a service (like uber) where you can just order a pickup and drop off then that would be great, but then you have cars traveling extra miles before pickup and drop off which leads to more pollution and traffic.

With enough critical mass this could be optimized a lot. I think eventually car ownership will dwindle and it will be handled more as a subscription service. Maybe it becomes a business perk (with sharing) so work travel is taken out of the picture and you only need worry about personal travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.