Specter Ops» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement and Car Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - Just want to clarify something that recently happened. There were three hunters in the car, and the agent had just gone. The first hunter used the motion detector and movement was detected northwest of the vehicle. They then stepped out of the vehicle, turn over. Now it was the next two hunters turns. They can't move the vehicle, and when they step out of the vehicle, their turns are over. It seems kind of lame that they can't get out and move. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scozar52 wrote:
Hi - Just want to clarify something that recently happened. There were three hunters in the car, and the agent had just gone. The first hunter used the motion detector and movement was detected northwest of the vehicle. They then stepped out of the vehicle, turn over. Now it was the next two hunters turns. They can't move the vehicle, and when they step out of the vehicle, their turns are over. It seems kind of lame that they can't get out and move. Is this correct?

That sounds correct. There is a major cost (and risk) associated with using the motion detector, and the movement rules for entering/exiting the vehicle have to be considered before making the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the game is really about planning ahead and making the best guesses and predictions about your opponent's actions.

In your scenario above, if you were planning to use the motion detector, there's really no reason that the other 2 agents couldn't have exited the vehicle at the end of their last turn, so they could hit the ground running after the sensor ping this round.

Unless, of course, they had also entered the vehicle last turn. But then entering, being driven, exiting - that's a lot. It would no longer seem lame that there's a delay somewhere in that continuum.

So, given the necessity to plan ahead, do you hedge your bets and leave one in the car and have one exit so you have options regardless of the ping results?

There is no best answer. It all comes down to your agent. Who's second guessing you. Who's second guessing him. Who's second guessing you. Who's second guessing him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to post a question in relation to this. I played earlier this evening with a new person and I am hoping we did this right.

On the hunter's turn I ran into an area and I spotted the agent (revealed him). I attacked and rolled a 1 (crappy luck...no damage). My partner was in the car from the previous turn. He moved a few spaces to get close to the agent, then he exited the car. He was able to position it so that when he got out he was 2 spaces away from the agent (still in line of sight).

My partner's movement phase ends when he gets out of the car, but he is still able to take other actions right? In this case attack the agent. Checking the rules, they make it clear that once you exit (or enter) the vehicle your movement phase is over, but there's nothing that says you're forbidden to do other actions, like attack or use a special ability if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no word on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Still no word on this?

I personally play that the agent can attack. This has only come up a few times for me.

Reasons:
As you can use the motion tracker either before exiting or after entering the vehicle as long as you don't move it seems to me you are able to do other actions.

Real application / thematically - a Hunter would not just stand there and catch their breath whilst the Agent slipped away. They would attack.

Rules: If we look at the mechanism for attacking. A Hunter may attack the Agent within it's line of sight regardless of distance. If you roll a 6 you may then re-roll and add the next number to the 6 rolled. You may keep re-rolling and adding as long as a 6 is rolled. A 1 would cause a miss at any point though.

So based on that a Hunter is able to attack from a distance. So as long as you didn't move then the attack is legal.

this is how I have & currently play. Unless there is an official rule or an official rule comes out saying something other wise, I will continue to play it this way.
Admittedly i don't really strive to go looking for errata that often but if I do come across it I will implement the new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
I suggest you look over the FAQ released by plaid hat. http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/488

In it they state:

Quote:
Q. Can a hunter exit the vehicle and attack on the same turn?
A. Yes. Exiting the vehicle only ends that hunter’s movement.

Essentially it's two phases. Movement, then Attack (if you can).

Special abilities state when they can be used, and sometimes it's in place of movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even know there was a FAQ until yesterday! I checked it out and saw the answer to that question, as well as some of the other questions pertaining to Cobra that came up the other night.

I do have 1 question after reading the FAQ and I think we've been playing this wrong. I understand that when a hunter lands on the same space as the agent it's an automatic hit, but for the beast it says he takes off 2 hits from the agent? Then if the Beast attacks that's up to 3 damage he can deal just by landing on the agent's space??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I do have 1 question after reading the FAQ and I think we've been playing this wrong. I understand that when a hunter lands on the same space as the agent it's an automatic hit, but for the beast it says he takes off 2 hits from the agent? Then if the Beast attacks that's up to 3 damage he can deal just by landing on the agent's space??

Is your beast different than this one? Cuz this is the one I have and it doesn't say anything about taking off 2 hits. It just gives you a chance to do an additional one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
From my understanding, the Brutal Strength replaces that rule. Essentially the brutal strength states that the rule happens as normal, but the beast can roll a die and on 5+ it makes it 2hp instead of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
IdleHacker wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

Is your beast different than this one? Cuz this is the one I have and it doesn't say anything about taking off 2 hits. It just gives you a chance to do an additional one.

Huh, I must have a newer version. It states:

Quote:
Brutal Strength: When the beast atacks an agent he shares a space with, roll a die. On a result of 5+ the agent loses 2 HP instead of 1.

I guess it changed for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe my wording was poor sorry. What i meant was the beast lamds on an agents space. Thats -1 dmg immediately. Then he has the chance to roll for another -1dmg. Lets say he succeeds. Now the agent has lost 2 dmg. Can the beast perform a regular attack now and maybe do ANOTHER dmg? I dont think thats allowed is it? Otherwise one encounter with the beast can nearly wipe the agent out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Maybe my wording was poor sorry. What i meant was the beast lamds on an agents space. Thats -1 dmg immediately. Then he has the chance to roll for another -1dmg. Lets say he succeeds. Now the agent has lost 2 dmg. Can the beast perform a regular attack now and maybe do ANOTHER dmg? I dont think thats allowed is it? Otherwise one encounter with the beast can nearly wipe the agent out.

From the rulebook:
Quote:
If the attacking hunter is on the same space as the agent, no die is
rolled. Instead, the hunter automatically hits.

The damage for landing on the agent is instead of the attack, not in addition to. So Beast does max 2 damage when landing on the agent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok cool. And if the agent happens to be Cobra then that automatic hit gets negated by his ability to stun the hunter instead.

It seems that every character is extremely useful in very specific situations, or offers a good counter to a situation, but outside of those situations that they're "good" at, they're just average. That seems to be the case for the hunters and agents. I guess the secret then is to manipulate the game so that you have more of those situations where your character is better at handling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
ok cool. And if the agent happens to be Cobra then that automatic hit gets negated by his ability to stun the hunter instead.

Correct...and this is probably the reason they reworded the Beast ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.