BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Which game has the tallest single deck of cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Durston
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After caving in and buying the last talisman expansion that i needed, it made me wonder if the Talisman adventure deck (once all expansion cards are added) is the tallest single deck of cards. The only rival i can think of may be the Arkham Horror mythos deck once all expansions are added, although i don't think that would top the adventure deck.

Are there any decks that are taller?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Millennium Blades and Race for the Galaxy with all the expansions are close, but yeah, methinks Talisman wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Year One Collector's Edition has a pretty damn tall card draw pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
texascpa wrote:

And since technically, you can combine ALL the Ascensions into one....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Foley
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TechnoGoat wrote:
After caving in and buying the last talisman expansion that i needed, it made me wonder if the Talisman adventure deck (once all expansion cards are added) is the tallest single deck of cards. The only rival i can think of may be the Arkham Horror mythos deck once all expansions are added, although i don't think that would top the adventure deck.

Are there any decks that are taller?

Not sure how many cards are in the adventure deck, but a couple games that came to mind that would have large stacks.

Cards against humanity with every expansion surely is larger.
Probably also any of the deckbuilders that use a single deck such as Ascension. Just looking at that games site there are 379 unique cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin, the Boxes of Holding hold up to 500 cards each of Doors or Treasures. Mine are nearly full, and I haven't gotten all the expansions yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own all the expansions, the Adventure card deck of Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) is a couple of hundred cards high ... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
If people play carefully, Rhino Hero cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Well, there's this:

But I don't think those cards actually all go in one deck when you play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
At last count, Gloomhaven will have a total of 1698 cards in the "base" box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were some broken decks in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game that used almost every card in the game to take advantage of a particular combo that milled your deck for resources. Doubt anyone ever actually made it in a physical space though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms + Star Realms: Colony Wars using two sets of each for a 6 player game (in theory you need 3 decks but if you want equal numbers of cards from each set you'd need 4) is 320 cars. If you then added 4 multiple copies of all the crisis small expansions would be 512 cards (though 5 of those are form the initial trade row). Whether anyone has ever done that and whether it would be a good idea is another matter. Big decks lead to streaky cards draws and are difficult to shuffle. Race for the Galaxy with all the first arc expansions is probably the largest deck I'd want to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
texascpa wrote:

And since technically, you can combine ALL the Ascensions into one....

That's what I came in here to write, all Ascension releases would be massive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The combined Killer Bunnies franchise?

Pete (has seen that stack go about a foot tall)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the tiles in Carcassonne count? With all the expansion that would be a lot and tiles are thicker than cards (even sleeved cards). Obviously you wouldn't put them in a single giant pile but I'd start splitting the deck of cards into multiple piles too if it got too large. I've considered splitting the deck into two to make it easier to reach a draw pile when playing Race for the Galaxy with 5 or 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

I was going to say that! With all the expansions, Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot has 660 cards in the deck (which is one deck that all the players play from!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
jobby wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I was going to say that! With all the expansions, Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot has 660 cards in the deck (which is one deck that all the players play from!)

Trying to shuffle that full stack takes about as long as the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
If you own all the expansions, the Adventure card deck of Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) is a couple of hundred thousand cards high ... meeple

fixed that for ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana has a ton of cards. Probably not the most, but 220 cards for one game is a lot in my opinion.

To add insult to injury, one of the first instructions in the setup is to shuffle all the cards together. shake

Also, all the Dominion sets together + promos would come out to about 3,800 cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astronautone wrote:
Pax Porfiriana has a ton of cards. Probably not the most, but 220 cards for one game is a lot in my opinion.

To add insult to injury, one of the first instructions in the setup is to shuffle all the cards together. shake

Also, all the Dominion sets together + promos would come out to about 3,800 cards

Yeah, but, technically, you are only going to setup with a hundred or so cards in a game with Dominion. With other games mentioned, there is no limit that can be in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're including expansions
Digital Ascension with all expansions for that (excluding some packs of promos and the latest expansion, Ascension X: War Of Shadows) has Portal deck that's 1103 cards. Adding the missing sets in the boxed version of the set AFAIK would add about another 100 cards?

For Dominion, the Black Market deck could have 1 copy of every card NOT in the current Supply, so 259 minus the typical 10 cards.

Race For The Galaxy with the full arc 1 expansions... I'll have to check my spreadsheet later on, but that's huge too!

Battlestar Galactica is a change of pace for this post of mine because it's a non-card game. All 3 expansions' crisis cards...
92 skill check (after removing 8 super crisis cards)
43 Event
19 CAC (Cylon Attack Cards)
154 cards total

I'll have to think about without expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, technically, you can play a casual game of Magic: The Gathering with a draw deck containing every single card you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
I think, technically, you can play a casual game of Magic: The Gathering with a draw deck containing every single card you own.

Or netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
Munchkin, the Boxes of Holding hold up to 500 cards each of Doors or Treasures. Mine are nearly full, and I haven't gotten all the expansions yet.

I second this. There's so many expansions and boosters that if you have them all the deck is absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:

I've done this before. This must've been back when my collection was only around 500-1000 cards.

And then I seriously played with a legitimate 220 card deck. Go go Battle of Wits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.