Subject: Custom Dice Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the creators thought about the custom dice but thought it would interfere with gameplay which i totally understand given cards like the tweeker and things that rely on the numbers.

how about die faces with a large symbol, but then a small number in one corner. best of both worlds, increased theme and numbers for game related number tweeks.

i for one would pay for a set of dice like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Ted's developer diary for Colony he said that people have difficulty in adding modifiers (e.g. +1s) to either numerical or iconised dice, and that having thought about he thought that dice with pips is the cleanest way to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
In Ted's developer diary for Colony he said that people have difficulty in adding modifiers (e.g. +1s) to either numerical or iconised dice, and that having thought about he thought that dice with pips is the cleanest way to work.

people have trouble adding dice with numbers rather than pips on them? i hadnt heard that before. i dont have that problem but i may be an anomaly. well it probably wouldnt make sense to produce them just for people who dont have that problem, maybe i can get a dice engraver or something and come up with something.

EDIT: is this developers diary in the forums or somewhere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I remember reading it on BGG, but I can't find it in the BGG News designer diaries or in the Colony forums, so perhaps I just imagined it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally prefer the current dice, glad they went with this and not custom ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmb
msaari wrote:
I'm pretty sure I remember reading it on BGG, but I can't find it in the BGG News designer diaries or in the Colony forums, so perhaps I just imagined it.

The designer diary for Colony hasn't been published yet (it's in the queue...ping

W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer

and ask him to post it--he claims to be busy with Essen preparation...but really, how busy can he be... ninja )

I did make that statement about custom dice in the forums here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1539572/how-dice-work

toulouse wrote:
During development, we tried custom dice symbols and it just didn't work for a number of reasons (I thought it would be kind of cool to use them as well):

1) Our brains can track combinations of numbers much easier than combination of symbols, even if those symbols are meaningful.

2) There are several other ways that the dice are used besides resources, and once of the modifiers allows you to tweak the resources by one or two at a time.

3) Traditional dice patterns are amazingly clear to read from across the table, vs. any sort of symbol. Again, probably has to do with our brains being conditioned to track numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:
msaari wrote:

The designer diary for Colony hasn't been published yet (it's in the queue...ping

W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer

and ask him to post it--he claims to be busy with Essen preparation...but really, how busy can he be... ninja )

I did make that statement about custom dice in the forums here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1539572/how-dice-work

toulouse wrote:
During development, we tried custom dice symbols and it just didn't work for a number of reasons (I thought it would be kind of cool to use them as well):

1) Our brains can track combinations of numbers much easier than combination of symbols, even if those symbols are meaningful.

2) There are several other ways that the dice are used besides resources, and once of the modifiers allows you to tweak the resources by one or two at a time.

3) Traditional dice patterns are amazingly clear to read from across the table, vs. any sort of symbol. Again, probably has to do with our brains being conditioned to track numbers.

well with my suggestion both the numbers and symbols would be there. but your probably right about the reading across the table thing, i hadnt considered that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.