United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to say hello, as I try to do for all my designs. I'm the designer and publisher of Druids. This game is a small batch, artisanal effort (to use the gag worthy lingo of many a craft stall) and just wanted to note that I'll be here to answer questions about the game.

Hope you have a chance to check out the linked videos or PNP!

grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Hong

Tulsa
Oklahoma
msg tools
when is it up for sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T2_Twinz wrote:
when is it up for sale?

Hi Tommy! Good question I should have answered. I'm starting a two week Kickstarter on Monday, September 26, on the morning Pacific time. I'll post here when it's live.

I'm using Kickstarter because I do not think I'll get sufficient exposure via my own site, based on my experience with the Farmageddon pre-order.

This is for a limited edition wooden version, like the one you see in the images and files linked. I'll be manufacturing up to 200, which will be delivered by Christmas 2016 (that's my cool hook!). If those 200 sell out, I'll open a second pledge level for an additional 200 to be delivered by March, and so forth. But, the intent is that this is a special, limited thing. I plan to use the money to finance art production for my more traditionally published card game, Solstice.

Any other questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Hong

Tulsa
Oklahoma
msg tools
Cool beans. looking forward to it.

Do you by any chance producing it yourself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T2_Twinz wrote:
Cool beans. looking forward to it.

Do you by any chance producing it yourself?

I'm working with Daft Concepts in Utah. They have developed several accessory components for me for Hocus and I love working with them on various things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grant! Neat game, I like the mechanics. I have two comments regarding the art design:

1. Look like from the video that the hole in the middle of each druid (to place a stone in) may be more annoying than it's worth--the person was having difficulty picking up the druid without dropping the stone (I do understand that they were working the camera at the same time, but still). Perhaps leaving out the hole and just placing the stone on the druid marker would make moving the piece easier. Les cool, sure, but more user friendly.

2. Druids are Celtic... but the art style says Japanese. Especially the pagoda-type drawings for the temple icons. What's with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormungandr83 wrote:
Hi Grant! Neat game, I like the mechanics. I have two comments regarding the art design:

1. Look like from the video that the hole in the middle of each druid (to place a stone in) may be more annoying than it's worth--the person was having difficulty picking up the druid without dropping the stone (I do understand that they were working the camera at the same time, but still). Perhaps leaving out the hole and just placing the stone on the druid marker would make moving the piece easier. Les cool, sure, but more user friendly.

2. Druids are Celtic... but the art style says Japanese. Especially the pagoda-type drawings for the temple icons. What's with that?

Hi, thanks for the notes.

1. It's quite tough to look through the lens of an iPhone, which I'm holding with one hand, and using my other hand...to do anything. It's not really indicative of the experience.

The hole in the Druid is very satisfying and it keeps all the pieces in place. I promise it works. We've played with the final components for months now.

2. Druids in fantasy are all about nature and changing shape and forms. Update: World of Warcraft and Diablo were big inspirations here. End Update.

It's a big inspiration for the mechanisms. I wanted to choose a style that was simple (due to limited illustration budget), as well as one that paired well with the wooden aesthetic and...well, that I liked. I really liked the calligraphy style from a few Asian cultures, so I went with that.

I chose things purely because I liked them. It's really that simple

grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.