Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished a game recently with Robth (on Playdek's app) in which I (as Ghostbuster) played the U.S. It was an unusual game in that I took an early VP lead, coming to +18 at one point early in the mid war. I made a special point early in the game to avoid if possible playing any card which granted him influence in Eastern Europe, such as COMECON, Warsaw Pact Formed, even saving Romanian Abdication until the last possible moment. When John Paul II came up, he was underprepared for it and I took over Poland entirely. He did manage to control France, but wasted several ops controlling it and Spain.

I had already dominated the Middle East (he had played Nasser early and I couped him out entirely) and Asia (surrounded Thailand with Ussuri and then played Brush War) but he was able to turn the tide in Asia with a timely play of India-Pak War. The rest of the game became a race to prevent him from dominating the other regions. I was unable to contest him in Central America, which he held for control to the end.

I was happy to let him wear out his op count throughout the game, howver Robth as the USSR clawed his way back from oblivion long enough to last until final scoring. I ended up winning with a score of +8.

One point which I think helped me enormously was adamantly holding Warsaw Pact Formed upon receiving it in turn 3. Turn after turn, I agonized over spacing or playing it, and decided to continue the effort to see how long I could keep it up. From our post game chat:

Quote:

Ghostbuster: nice recovery in the mid war by you
Robth: yeah, unusual game in the end
Ghostbuster: indeed
Robth: early dominance turning into pretty balanced board
Ghostbuster: helped that I kept Warsaw Pact out of play
Robth: that warsaw pact move you pulled was the first time I'd seen that
Robth: exactly
Ghostbuster: I held it all mid war
Robth: I was like, he can't hold it all the way to t7 can he?

Yep, I held off on spacing Warsaw Pact until the t7 reshuffle, which ensured I'd keep EU domination! I had held since way back in t3, and it never saw the light of day before then.

I am curious as to whether this has worked for anyone else, and what have been your experiences in trying the long Warsaw hold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice play, especially since USSR players get lazy about eastern Europe thinking that COMECON/etc. will save them. That being said, if you really had the luxury of being able to hold Warsaw Pact from Turns 3-7 you must have gotten some pretty favorable draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
Holding a card for 4 turns itself means you did have a beyond-average draw in Mid-war or a GREAT space advantage.

Also, I think holding Ask Not, Indulgence Vendor and Roxelena can do better in most situations than Warsaw. Experienced players would directly go 7~12 East Germany/Poland in LW when with decisive advantage and Europe at 1-4.

(actually Warsaw is a US event when Marshall not evented)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
A nice play, especially since USSR players get lazy about eastern Europe thinking that COMECON/etc. will save them. That being said, if you really had the luxury of being able to hold Warsaw Pact from Turns 3-7 you must have gotten some pretty favorable draws.

It cost me Asia Domination, as I ended up playing the China Card instead of Warsaw Pact Formed when I was desperate for Ops. I had control of India, Japan, Pakistan, South Korea,and Taiwan as well; Thailand didn't fall until later. Giving up Taiwan's status as a battleground with the China card play was supposedly a safe play, but India-Pak War wrested control of India from me and overturned my domination.

I admittedly would not have pulled it off if I had been stuck with Lone Gunman all that time, but I ended up drawing it on Turn 7, after the reshuffle had passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sankt wrote:
Also, I think holding Ask Not, Indulgence Vendor and Roxelena can do better in most situations than Warsaw.

Robth got Ask Not and played it for ops late in the mid war, as an AR6 play. I discarded WWBY and got stuck with Allende after all my work to keep him out of South America. He took full advantage of his inroad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.