5 Posts

Captain Sonar» Forums » General

Subject: group of non gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be using this game for a staff retreat and I feel that my co workers can handle most of the roles except one, the engineer.

I have played the game several times and it seems to be to complicated to explain to them in a timely fashion.

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and come up with a solution that could work?

So far I have been thinking of transferring power to different systems rolling a D4 to see how long that would take. But that would leave a lot of downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to be honest I think thats a pretty terrible idea! The whole point of the engineer is it stops you using systems randomly and as much as you want.

Its really not a hard role to explain. Go through the other three first, then move on to the engineer:

"Whenever your captain says a direction, for example "North" you cross off one of the circles in the appropriate box" obviously pointing this out, even going as far as to literally cross one off to reinforce the point.

"If every circle in a box gets crossed off you've over loaded the system and have to take a damage!" cross them all off to show them, and show them where to mark damage

"As this is a nuclear sub we need to be careful with the reactor" (feel free to leave this out if you don't want the theme hah) "if you cross off all of these radiation warnings we get a leak and have to take a damage" (again show them how).

"So how do we stop all this damage? Do you see how all the symbols are connected in groups of four? every time all four in a group are crossed off, they get wiped off!" (show them)

"If we do over load and system and cross off all the circles in one panel" (show them) "then we can wipe them all out! but don't forget about taking damage!"

"The final way is if we surface, then everything gets wiped off!" (Explain about surfacing to the whole group)

"So you need to be communicating with the captain lots, as you need to advise which way he can and cant go - or at least which wouldn't be sensible"

"The final thing; do you see how the circles all have a symbol in? They match to the systems" (show them the first mate sheet, and this is why I do it after the other roles) "If even one of those symbols is crossed out - you cant use that roll! so its very important for you to let the captain know what is and isnt avaialble to use, and let him know which directions to go to help unlock things"

Then just answer any questions they have, its really not too difficult. If you explain the other roles first it gives them context to understand. Obviously those arent the exact words I use each time, but its the order I do it in (roughly).

I really wouldn't try changing up the way the game works, thats just asking for trouble. Its means they wont get the full experience of the game, and could leave to some unneeded complications.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Koch
United States
Papillion
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use the cheat sheet in the files section, it explains and simplifies the Engineer role with what actions they have and what damage to look out for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is coming from someone who has not yet played this magnificent game, but this is what I would do if I were in your shoes:

1. Do the turn-based mode. This would be a lot less hectic and allow people to fully conceptualize all the available options without feeling rushed.

2. If there are enough players, proctor the game and assist both teams if anyone has questions. You could even guide the teams for the first few turns and then let them loose and assist only when questions arise. You could guide them with things like "Team A Captain, state a direction you want to move and mark it on your map. Team B Radio Operator, mark that direction on your clear sheet. Okay, now Team A Engineer mark off a symbol in the box that the Captain shouted. Finally, Team A First Mate, pick a system that you want to charge." Do this for a couple turns and then encourage the teams to do all the actions simultaneously on their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomercyrider wrote:
Do the turn-based mode. This would be a lot less hectic and allow people to fully conceptualize all the available options without feeling rushed.

This! thumbsup

At least for a few turns. As soon as you realize that each participant understand how his station works you can switch to real time mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.