Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could Ted or someone else from the design/playtesting team comment on why the "bust check" rule from Age of Craft was dropped for Colony? I would be very interested to learn, since this anti-hoarding rule increased the tension in that game.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Age of Craft have limited storage? I don't remember. In any case, Colony does have limited storage, so you can't hoard. I wasn't particularly fond of the bust rule, I'm not missing it a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that keeping 6 dice isn't hoarding. I have no problem with Colony as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It didnt have limited storage, you rolled 3d6 (average 10.5) and if above number of your dice you lost half I believe. Colony seems more deterministic but imo some tension is probably gone.

On a similar point, do the chips you get function as a catchup mechanism?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
It didnt have limited storage, you rolled 3d6 (average 10.5) and if above number of your dice you lost half I believe. Colony seems more deterministic but imo some tension is probably gone.

On a similar point, do the chips you get function as a catchup mechanism?

i think i prefer the way colony implemented limited storage rather than this. IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To some extent yes, the chips are a catchup mechanism, since you get one if you don't build. So if you can't build, you're in a better position to build on a later round. That's not their only function, though, you can also use them to move unstable resources for later turn.

Unstable resources are another thing to stop hoarding that Age of Craft didn't have. The basic production buildings produce unstable resources, which can't be stored at all. No hoarding them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.