World of Warcraft: The Boardgame» Forums » General

Subject: What's a good starting game? Just bought WoW boardgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kerri Wright
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi everyone!

I am new to the fantasy? Board game scene and have been wanting to play them for years.

I just bought the World of Warcraft game for me and my two nephews who are 10 and 12.

What is a good recommendation for a starting game like this? as this one seems a bit hard for the boys, and myself too!

Thanks for any info you can give me,

Kerri

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kerri...

welcome to "Fantasy" boardgaming. First off... don't be overwhelmed by the rules. There are a lot of rules to take in especially at first.

Make sure you read them carefully though. Follow the set-up procedures and make sure you don't skip any steps.

Second thing... try to organize the pieces carefully (group the creatures minis and cards and tokens, etc.)- for this will help the game progress faster instead of searching through mounds of tokens and minis.

Third thing... just enjoy the game experience... immerce yourself in the "World of Warcraft" (in this case) and expect to make some rule mistakes as you start to play but, learn from them quickly.

Besides what comes with the games, there are many helpful resource/ player aids you can download here from the Geek which can help your games along as well.

And last (but not least) ask questions here... you will find many people who would be eager to help!

As for this game... maybe play a shorter version of the game just to help them get used to the mechanics of the game (this game actually takes a bit to play out!)

Hope that helps a bit!

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerri, it looks like you're asking for suggestions for games like WoW, but simpler. I can understand that. WoW is one of FFG's big box games, and while it's not their most complex by far, it can be a little intimidating.

I might recommend Runebound. It'll be a little easier to run through, and we can give you a simple step-by-step breakdown of how combat works, but you still get the fun of buying weapons, beating stuff up, and gaining levels. It's not a perfect game, but it might make a slightly gentler step for you and your family into some deeper board games. One nice thing about Runebound is that you can easily adapt it to be a cooperative game - that way it doesn't matter if you get a few of the rules wrong, as long as everyone's having fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about heroscape?

I havent played it myself, but my broether in law has, he got it for his 10 yr old son and they both enjoyed it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation for this game is to:

1 - First play a solo game by yourself.
This will get you familiar with the rules, especially combat, making it easier to direct the young ones. For a simplfied solo experience use two characters and ignore the Event Cards entirely.

2 - Play Co-op with the Kids.
All three of you take a single character on the same side and work together to level up and defeat the overlord. As above ignore Events since this is a learning excercise.

3 - Once you're all happy play it properly as described in the rules. Maybe avoid the PvP end game entirely - make it a race to kill the overlord, but if you do decide to allow the PvP make sure you use the Deadly PvP rules else it takes too long an people get bored.

Finally only use 'simple' characters for now. Some of the characters are easy to play while others require quite a bit extra work.
The best three simple characters to use at first are Warrior, Hunter and Mage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought the druid pretty simple. Buy Bearform. Later on, if you want to change, buy catform

I am not so sure Runebound is the game you need. It still takes four hours to play, and it can be just as intimidating to learn.

I like Itchyrichy's ideas, though it is worth noting the effect of the turn marker in the solo idea.
I would play the first game for one turn gives one action to all players, move the turn marker.

Then once you have done that, I'd adjust to use two actions per player in any order, move the turn marker two spaces.
(This represents both teams having taken a turn each, more accurate to the game.)

Then I'd do that again bringing in events.

That's a lot of playing, by then you'll have it down, and they'll be itching to take you on 2vs1. (You have two characters, they have one each.)

If you find you don't like the PVP use the alternative rules to start the turn marker back to 1 after it gets to 30.

Most of all, enjoy!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be crazy but what about Cave Troll. They just released a new version with better production quality.

In Cavetroll, each player controls a party of explorers raiding the cave troll’s lair. Using knights, dwarves, thieves, and other adventurers, the players search the lair for gold and magical artifacts. The players must be careful, however, because they aren’t only competing against each other, but against savage orcs, terrifying wraiths, and the fearsome cave troll itself!

Cavetroll is a fast-paced dungeon-crawling board game of strategy, looting, and monster-bashing from Tom Jolly, the creator of Drakon. Cavetroll is playable in 20-60 minutes for two to four players, ages 10 and up.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4491

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a big problem is that adventure games with character or at least item progression that are light and under 90 minutes are like the holy grail of Amerigaming. If you look at the recommended for Warcraft, or Descent, there are no recommendations that match these parameters.
Geeklist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I would suspect, as the OP may have already discovered, that WoW is utterly unplayable in his stated configuration. It is my opinion that WoW is fantastic for a portion of its target market, but is much too immersed in the sort of minutiae that only some people can tolerats. Thus some people who would look at it and say "this sounds wicked" will find it an unplayable game.

Like me.

But, games you may like - and may indeed provide the experience necessary to move up to WoW - are Heroscape, Dungeon Twister, Talisman (coming soon), or Prophecy (is that easy to get yet?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Dungeon Twister for a ten year old would be good only if the kid loves chess already.

Heroscape would be a pretty good pick I think. Doesnt restrict itself to fantasy, which could be a bonus for the young uns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.