T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player with 11 year old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Marsan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
My intention is to buy this game and play it with my 11 year old daughter, who is used to boardgames and pretty smart (we also play Pandemic Legacy together and she regularly has solid ideas as to how best to progress).

I've seen commentary to the effect that Asylum is not family friendly because of the theme, but I am not really concerned on that front. What I am concerned about is that with the already-reduced brain power of 2 vs 4, the addition of one of those players being 11 might make the problem-solving impracticable.

Can I have someone's thoughts on this, without spoiler as to the puzzles themselves? Are we saying that one really needs at least 2 adults?

As I understand it, there is real disagreement on the quality of a 2 player experience - but that is a risk I'm willing to take (we've really enjoyed Pandemic Legacy just the 2 of us also).

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A smart 11 year old should have no problems with the puzzles in Asylum. In fact, she may actually be sharper and therefore do better than some of us who's um, memory, might not be as reliable as it once had.

You guys will have a blast playing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jordan
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that, as long as you are not concerned with the subject matter, the game is probably ok for a smart 11 year old. There was one puzzle in particular that was pretty tricky. However, if you and your daughter are perceptive enough, I don't see an issue.

The real problem is that the 2 player version would be very tricky due to the nature of the game. You really do need more than just the added brain power. You need the extra people to help streamline the expenditure of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marsan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Hm, that last comment doesn't sound promising - though I'm not sure I understand it. Can you expand on what you mean by "streamline the expenditure of time"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Dill
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember the rules, 2 players are supposed to take control of 2 characters/vessels each. (At least that is how I played it with my wife). You should have no problems playing 2 player with an 11 year old - it is a great 2 player experience.

What he is referring to is that every character takes an action for the expenditure of a single time unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could house rule it, so that each of you sees each others cards - and/or each person reads their card out loud vs. have them 'summarize' the card. May help you catch some things she could miss, but I don't think that's in play here.

If anything I think you may have an easier time with just the two of you. When we had four - sometimes someone's attention would wane and they weren't paying attention for a bit and once we lost a critical piece of information and had to double back to figure something out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game wasn't designed for 2 players, and the designers/producers added 2-player support as an afterthought without much care for the 2-player experience. Check out Rahdo's Final Thoughts video for T.I.M.E Stories for details. If you don't mind playing 2 characters each, it will be fine, but some people consider that to be a less-than-optimal experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time playing it with my girlfriend.
Each of us using 2 characters was no problem, we also do it for other games, Eldritch Horror and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd recommend open cards, otherwise the danger is of missing something important or getting a rule wrong or something.

I've seen a game of this completely ruined because at least one player wasnt really looking at the cards or sharing the information on them in detail, which is needed to "solving" the thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jordan
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Yeah, I'd recommend open cards, otherwise the danger is of missing something important or getting a rule wrong or something.

I've seen a game of this completely ruined because at least one player wasnt really looking at the cards or sharing the information on them in detail, which is needed to "solving" the thing.

Agreed. We had a really bad session where one guy wasn't paying attention at all and missed some important details on a few cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it 2 player but investigated it a bit. The official method is playing 2 characters. I believe it works fine but some people, like Rahdo, really hate playing 2 chars because it ruins their roleplaying. Rahdo ended up using a sidekick character. To me, the sidekick seems almost the same as a second character, but if it makes it more enjoyable for him, then who am I to argue? He explains it here:
Re: 2 Player Variant.

There is also a very similar variant that had already been added to the newest rules:
Quote:
Author’s suggestion:
Each player chooses a receptacle in the usual way. Then, choose a third receptacle together. The game plays using the rules for 3-players.
For the third receptacle, players take decisions together and they both read the cards. When rolling dice or in case of a disagreement, the current Time Captain takes priority.

The official variant probably works better as I'm pretty sure there are some locations where it's just much better to have the 3 characters on separate spaces. It's probably not absolutely necessary though.

And remember, lots of people have no problem just playing 2 chars each. Some more discussion here:
Which is better for couples? 2p variants or 2p controlling two receptacles?

PaulGrogan wrote:

Open cards isn't a bad idea. But I'd recommend starting with your daughter conveying the card herself, then you could look at the card afterwards if you want. You may find she is doing fine. Maybe you are the one leaving out details! Part of the fun is the "fog of information", so I'd recommend not playing totally open and just reading the cards verbatim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marsan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I would certainly like to try and play it properly - i.e. keep the cards to ourselves and summarise - since that seems to me to be very much the core mechanic of the game.

Judging from some of the above comments I'm guessing there are some cards that reveal rules to be implemented of sorts - presumably when that is the case it will be obvious and I could check the exact wording of the rules on those specific cards when they arise, as an exception?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you could, rules introduced by cards are in a box out on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking about the official recommendation for a 3rd character controlled by the 2 players. Perhaps a specific card could be create for this purpose? A character whos trait is suffering with schizophrenia, perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.