$20.00
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it is productive to use "Finest" to describe the a certain group of people on RSP. It smacks of libtard, nutters, SJWs and other terms used to immediately dismiss someone before they even speak. I'm not saying it should be banned, but if people, usually liberals, don't want to be unfairly characterized themselves I would say avoid using it.

Now I understand it is supposed to be directed at the most acerbic, angry and irrational of the right side of RSP, but using it as such isn't going to encourage them to moderate their posting style any. It just helps cement the us versus them mentality.

So, anyways, that is why I refuse to use it to refer to people. I think others shouldn't either, but this is RSP and civility is a scarce resource and not essential here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I'm not sure it is productive to use "Finest" to describe the a certain group of people on RSP. It smacks of libtard, nutters, SJWs and other terms used to immediately dismiss someone before they even speak. I'm not saying it should be banned, but if people, usually liberals, don't want to be unfairly characterized themselves I would say avoid using it.

Now I understand it is supposed to be directed at the most acerbic, angry and irrational of the right side of RSP, but using it as such isn't going to encourage them to moderate their posting style any. It just helps cement the us versus them mentality.

So, anyways, that is why I refuse to use it to refer to people. I think others shouldn't either, but this is RSP and civility is a scarce resource and not essential here.
Actually I always thought it just meant that elite bunch of specials who think they own the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use the term to describe myself, because one can never have a big enough ego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Now I understand it is supposed to be directed at the most acerbic, angry and irrational . . .

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Then I misused it when I said that Jer wasn't one of RSP's "Finest™."

What I should have said is that he's the Finest of the Finest™!

(EDIT: Except for the acerbic part. He's not smart enough to be acerbic.)

when did you stop petting your puppy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Is there a BGG badge for being one of the Finest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Now I understand it is supposed to be directed at the most acerbic, angry and irrational . . .

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Then I misused it when I said that Jer wasn't one of RSP's "Finest™."

What I should have said is that he's the Finest of the Finest™!

(EDIT: Except for the acerbic part. He's not smart enough to be acerbic.)

when did you stop petting your puppy?

When I kicked it across the room?

(Am I playing correctly? Do I win a prize?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I thought we had an entire thread dedicated towards RSP's Finest that enshrines their achievements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
It smacks of libtard, nutters, SJWs and other terms used to immediately dismiss someone before they even speak.

The benefit of the doubt can only be given so many times before those that have become a parody of themselves no longer deserve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
Is there a BGG badge for being one of the Finest?
There were even TWO, times ago for 'moi' of which are THE: "refinest"! Them other 'carpy-cats' followed "forsoothsuit!", eventually. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
I prefer "The usual suspects" anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
windsagio wrote:
I prefer "The usual suspects" anyways.
THEM: "unawares unusual suspected!" They're "ING-R-R-R-R-A-T-E-!" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
It smacks of libtard, nutters, SJWs and other terms used to immediately dismiss someone before they even speak.

The benefit of the doubt can only be given so many times before those that have become a parody of themselves no longer deserve it.

I like it and I think you coined it because of some Right-wing posters on here that when fact-checked, either name-call or disappear from the thread until the next regurgitation of a Drudge story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Altair IV wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

I like it and I think you coined it because of some Right-wing posters on here that when fact-checked, either name-call or disappear from the thread until the next regurgitation of a Drudge story.

Sounds more like some of the liberals hereabouts, but I grok ya.....

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I'd quite like those who use it to list their idea of who comprises "RSP's Finest".

Because I'm sure that the several people who've trotted it out in the last week or so all mean different groups...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just automatically assume sarcasm in any such phrase. It saves time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true I coined the term The Finest but I sure as hell didn't create those who fall under it. They were here doing what they do long before me.

I need no more confirmation that the name is appropriate as least one person it applies to can't wrap his melon around the meaning...and then proceeds to fail using it three times in two sentences. That is a standard so low that I didn't even think it existed. I love coming here because I am continually surprised.

The Finest is for those that no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt.

For those who are so intellectually dishonest you would be shocked if they told you the truth.

For those that poison the well and can't conceive of why anyone dislikes the quality of the water.

In truth I am irrelevant in the large scheme of BBG or even RSP. I do not deserve, desire or require the benefit of the doubt myself because I am here for my own entertainment. But I also do not require permission to point to the assholes and say "HERE COME THE ASSHOLES!"

...and that is the name of my self-titled debut album

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh I misused it then. I thought it reffered to thst group of elites who can descend on high, crap on a thread/person/rule, and get nothing but praise for it.

See also:RSPFB.

My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Altair IV wrote:
It's true I coined the term The Finest but I sure as hell didn't create those who fall under it. They were here doing what they do long before me.

I need no more confirmation that the name is appropriate as least one person it applies to can't wrap his melon around the meaning...and then proceeds to fail using it three times in two sentences. That is a standard so low that I didn't even think it existed. I love coming here because I am continually surprised.

The Finest is for those that no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt.

For those who are so intellectually dishonest you would be shocked if they told you the truth.

For those that poison the well and can't conceive of why anyone dislikes the quality of the water.

In truth I am irrelevant in the large scheme of BBG or even RSP. I do not deserve, desire or require the benefit of the doubt myself because I am here for my own entertainment. But I also do not require permission to point to the assholes and say "HERE COME THE ASSHOLES!"

...and that is the name of my self-titled debut album

This. The Finest are the ones who make this forum worse in every way. With a stronger moderation policy they'd be gone either because they would be expressly booted or simply because they couldn't get away with their act. As is they can only be tolerated: even plonking isn't effective when the stupid shit is quoted so often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Seriously, the only issue, and it's a tiny one, with the phrase is that it is politically oriented. Yes, yes, I know, several of our conservative posters tend to push ideology instead of facts. So do many of our liberal posters. So is it only hung on the righties and not the lefties?

Y'all take this shit way too seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
So is it only hung on the righties and not the lefties?
So far
remorseless1 wrote:
Y'all take this shit way too seriously.
Maybe so. But if you are of the school that says the US has become more and more polar oriented as time goes on, things like this just reinforce it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Ahh I misused it then. I thought it reffered to thst group of elites who can descend on high, crap on a thread/person/rule, and get nothing but praise for it.

See also:RSPFB.

My bad.

Thumb Buddies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argyle Mac Sook
Antarctica
Someones foot
Luna
msg tools
My arch enemy is Dr. Dryer. Curse you Dr. Dryer!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think of "The Finest" I think WOOL. Warm and cozy... Rayon *yeck* hot, plastic and sweaty, I'm cringing at the thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was just the left's shorthand insult in the same way the rightwingers on here toss around SJW , Liberal et al, to get a reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
There is at least one notable lefty on my personal Finest list but I think the term has developed a strong right-wing connotation yes. But to me at least it's the posting style not the politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.