Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Nixon
United States
McLeansville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep seeing people talk about the game taking 3 - 4 hours, but I assume they are for larger player counts. I've only ever played the game as 2p with my wife, but we've never had a game last longer than an hour. Is this normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
an hour seems unusually quick unless you happen to both throw in a low reserve amount when the bank gets refunded. my wife and I usually skew towards the shorter end of play time whenever we play a game and it usually takes us around 90 mins when playing FCM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 2 players games lasted about an hour. We usually did not play the 2 last turns because it was obvious one player is the winner (his revenu is higher or close to what is left into the bank).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
45 minutes per player is not an unreasonable estimate across all player counts.

An hour is quick, but not crazy, for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Genest
Canada
Pont-Rouge
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Around 90 minutes for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Paul
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends: 90-120 minutes for us, but we are very slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idk, I played a teaching game of FCM is 2.5 hours a few weeks ago, including rules. The new guy really liked to take turns quick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"A bloody nose, empty pockets, rented car with a trunk full of guns... Check out time is sundown in Las Vegas, but it only rises once..."
badge
Fox by Kyle Ferrin for the game Root (gif by BeckyTokens)
mbmbmbmbmb
about 75 minutes but we're fast though. We've called games where one of us tried an experiment or something weird (good or bad) at like 40 minutes. One person runs the bank, the other handles token removal. Both do their own prices on a calculator (if necessary due to discounting or drinking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Food Chain Magnate is a bit weird with 2 players. It seems really scripted to me. I remember the last time my friend and I played I was mapping out each move both players pretty much had to do, and this applied quite far into the game. My friend ended up agreeing with me that most of the moves in a 2 player game seemed kind of forced, otherwise one player would fall too far behind, and there are no catch up mechanisms.

We played a game that lasted literally 5 minutes or so one time. My opponent conceded, as we both knew what was going to happen because of him playing a sub par opening move. I think playing a 2 player game in under an hour is perfectly reasonable given that a lot of the time both players can tell very far in advance how the game's going to play out, and there doesn't seem to be any point in going through the motions.

I really only play board games with 2 as I dislike the extra chaos more players bring to the equation, and I haven't tried Food Chain Magnate at any other player count but my assumption is that this game would really shine with 3 or 4 players, and would take quite a long time to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.