Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, I've been thinking about SE4X for a while. Recently hearing about Replicators and the Talon tie-in have pushed me into thinking that this might be the right time to pull the trigger. I see that SE4X and Replicators can be pre-ordered through P500, but it looks like Close Encounters is still in stock, so won't be reprinted any time soon (meaning I'd have to pay full retail). For those of you who have already played the game with and without Close Encounters, how much do you feel it adds to the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot. There are new technologies, new rules, new variants, new scenarios... really, SE4X is a perfectly good game without CE, but I only play the basic game without CE with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
A lot. There are new technologies, new rules, new variants, new scenarios... really, SE4X is a perfectly good game without CE, but I only play the basic game without CE with new players.
Same here, CE offers a lot of new options and still not enough resources to take them all (and more importantly defend against them all!)
Tracking ship experience means that now suicide missions aren't necessarily the best course of actions for leftover ships after a large battle anymore.
Alien technologies make the choice whether to colonize deep space planets on smaller maps more difficult.
Ground troops force you not only to consider what you will lose by colonizing a planet where your opponent can easily reach it, but also what they can gain by invading it.
I'll just stop here, there's too much stuff to list everything that's great about it

That being said, I've also met people for whom playing with everything was a little bit too much, but in that case we just picked different optional rules every game to keep it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
CE is probably the best game expansion (esp. best bang-for-your-buck) I have encountered. You definitely don't want to use it for your first few games but once you're ready, the amount it adds to the base game is incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
CE is probably the best game expansion (esp. best bang-for-your-buck) I have encountered.

I see what you did there .

Thanks for the input, everybody. Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and get it all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
CE is probably the best game expansion (esp. best bang-for-your-buck) I have encountered.

I see what you did there .

Thanks for the input, everybody. Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and get it all...

You definitely do not want to miss CE.

However, assuming you have ordered and received at least one P-500 this year, wait for the GMT Fall Sale (may be a month later than usual due to their re-org)and purchase CE at 50% discount. I recently did that with Panzer and its extensions. I had Panzer 2nd edition on P-500, and, knowing that it was coming up for publication early this calendar year, I ordered its three expansions at last year's sale for a nice net 50% off. That's how you avoid paying full price for CE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pavobueno wrote:
assuming you have ordered and received at least one P-500 this year, wait for the GMT Fall Sale (may be a month later than usual due to their re-org)and purchase CE at 50% discount.

So, I have to admit I don't know what this means. I only learned about Talon (and GMT and P500) this past week. I understand that I can use P500 to pre-order games that GMT will be reprinting in the coming year. Are you saying that if I pre-order something that way, I will also be entitled to a 50% discount during an upcoming sale? You say "ordered and received", so does that mean that I'll miss out on this opportunity for the fall sale, since any order that I make now won't have arrived yet? Also, when does the fall sale normally happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
pavobueno wrote:
assuming you have ordered and received at least one P-500 this year, wait for the GMT Fall Sale (may be a month later than usual due to their re-org)and purchase CE at 50% discount.

So, I have to admit I don't know what this means. I only learned about Talon (and GMT and P500) this past week. I understand that I can use P500 to pre-order games that GMT will be reprinting in the coming year. Are you saying that if I pre-order something that way, I will also be entitled to a 50% discount during an upcoming sale? You say "ordered and received", so does that mean that I'll miss out on this opportunity for the fall sale, since any order that I make now won't have arrived yet? Also, when does the fall sale normally happen?
The way it works is that sometime in fall (usually it's in October IIRC, but as Stephen said it might be later this year) GMT has a sale where a bunch (all?) in-stock games are ~20% off.
For every game that you have received (not just ordered) in the previous year as part of the P500 program you get one game at 50% off instead.

I'm not quite sure when they start counting the "one year" period. Effectively I think they have a list of eligible games and for every game on that list that you P500'd you get an in-stock game 50% off.

And yes, if you back Talon and Space Empires now you won't get that discount until next year's sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
sometime in fall.. a bunch (all?) in-stock games are ~20% off.
For every game that you have received (not just ordered) in the previous year as part of the P500 program you get one game at 50% off instead.

Well, with SE4X not arriving till Q2, that'll give me a nice few months to play the base game before spicing things up with CE . Thanks for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using CE for the first time myself this week. Makes a good game a great game. Learning and applying all rules other than the 'ground forces' rules is easy and well worth it. Pretty much does for SE4X what Shattered Empires does for Twilight Imperium III.

If you find the mind game of 'do I choose fighters OR raiders' a good time, Close Encounters is just what you need. Now you decide between fighters, raiders, boarding parties, titans, etc, with Alien Tech cards pushing you in directions you wouldn't normally go in the game. And more planning when you factor in the research and industrial facilities.

Can't speak to the ground forces, but it all looks good to me.

[Necro'd the thread, but as a newcomer to the expansion, I wanted to join the ranks of the supporters and let my nerd voice be heard.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.