$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Charlotte: A place where wikileaks could do some actual good; rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/22/us/charlotte-protests/

Quote:
Charlotte police chief: Shooting video won't be made public


Quote:
It would be inappropriate to present footage of "a victim's worst day" for public consumption, Chief Kerr Putney said. Asked if there was a time at which the public could expect to see it, the chief said there should be no such expectation.


In an era of grudge-leaks (the revenge porn of politics) and unredacted personal info, this seems like a perfect place to leak and expose what power actually wants hidden.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but this would not help Trump.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's way different from what I heard the Charlotte mayor say on NPR this morning. She said the video wasn't going to be made public until witnesses had been interviewed and the victim's family had seen it first. Both those seemed like good reasons for a delay. Perhaps the police chief isn't the final decider here and it will be made public.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Wow, that's way different from what I heard the Charlotte mayor say on NPR this morning. She said the video wasn't going to be made public until witnesses had been interviewed and the victim's family had seen it first. Both those seemed like good reasons for a delay. Perhaps the police chief isn't the final decider here and it will be made public.


Or perhaps he didn't get the PR messaging email first ><

Dude oughtn't have said that, whether it was true or not. It's just throwing kerosine on the fire.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or the narrative does not hold water, so they can ignore it. Another one that is not looking good for the race baiters.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Jeremy, if that's the case, fine. It would resolve some of the issues.

If you say "I'm not going to release video that may show my wrongdoing because it would be hard on my (dead) victim." NOBODY's going to believe you.
13 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I would imagine that if the dash cam video or whatever justifies the action taken by police, they'd put that thing on social media and every movie theater in the state. But the idea they want to interview witnesses first (not tainting their version of events by giving them other information) and letting the family see it first (human decency) is sound reasoning.
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
I would imagine that if the dash cam video or whatever justifies the action taken by police, they'd put that thing on social media and every movie theater in the state. But the idea they want to interview witnesses first (not tainting their version of events by giving them other information) and letting the family see it first (human decency) is sound reasoning.


That usually cant release it because it's evidence until the police lawyers, city lawyers and union lawyers allow it to be released.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Defer to the family... after the lawyers and such do what they need to do.

If it's embarrassing to the dead man, which is how I read the chief's comment, let it go.

For example: he wet his pants.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Or the narrative does not hold water, so they can ignore it. Another one that is not looking good for the race baiters.

Open carry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
“After watching the videos,” said Justin Bamberg, an attorney for Scott’s relatives, “the family again has more questions than answers.”

Bamberg said the videos, from dashboard and body cameras worn by Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers, showed Scott getting out of his vehicle when ordered to by officers.

Scott’s demeanor was calm and nonaggressive, said Bamberg, who called upon CMPD to release the videos publicly in the name of transparency.

“While police did give him several commands,” the attorney said, “he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time.”

Bamberg echoed the observation of police who also examined the footage – that it was impossible to see whether Scott was holding a weapon, or anything else, in his hands.

Scott’s hands were by his side, Bamberg said, and he was walking slowly backward when shot.

“It was incredibly difficult for members of the Scott family to view these videos, but as a matter of the greater good and transparency,” Bamberg said, “the Scott family asks that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department publicly immediately release both of the videos they watched today.”

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Chief Kerr Putney said he reviewed the videos and they do not “give me absolute, definitive visual evidence that will confirm a person was pointing a gun. I did not see that in the video.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article103...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Defer to the family... after the lawyers and such do what they need to do.

If it's embarrassing to the dead man, which is how I read the chief's comment, let it go.

For example: he wet his pants.

But it will be read as an excuse to not show the video. The family want the video released after seeing it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
DavidDearlove wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Defer to the family... after the lawyers and such do what they need to do.

If it's embarrassing to the dead man, which is how I read the chief's comment, let it go.

For example: he wet his pants.

But it will be read as an excuse to not show the video. The family want the video released after seeing it.

?

I thought they want it released because they haven't seen it.

They might not have thought this through.

If we can assume the chief is somewhat level headed, which I don't know, and he has seen the video, and he thinks it would be embarrassing, would it hurt to wait a few days to find out?

It would be a shame if this guy's death ended up as a punch line in a video.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Defer to the family... after the lawyers and such do what they need to do.

If it's embarrassing to the dead man, which is how I read the chief's comment, let it go.

For example: he wet his pants.

But it will be read as an excuse to not show the video. The family want the video released after seeing it.

?

I thought they want it released because they haven't seen it.

They might not have thought this through.

If we can assume the chief is somewhat level headed, which I don't know, and he has seen the video, and he thinks it would be embarrassing, would it hurt to wait a few days to find out?

It would be a shame if this guy's death ended up as a punch line in a video.


The family has viewed the video and want it to be released.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Defer to the family... after the lawyers and such do what they need to do.

If it's embarrassing to the dead man, which is how I read the chief's comment, let it go.

For example: he wet his pants.

But it will be read as an excuse to not show the video. The family want the video released after seeing it.

?

I thought they want it released because they haven't seen it.

They might not have thought this through.

If we can assume the chief is somewhat level headed, which I don't know, and he has seen the video, and he thinks it would be embarrassing, would it hurt to wait a few days to find out?

It would be a shame if this guy's death ended up as a punch line in a video.

The family has seen the video. They do want it released.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Defer to the family... after the lawyers and such do what they need to do.

If it's embarrassing to the dead man, which is how I read the chief's comment, let it go.

For example: he wet his pants.

But it will be read as an excuse to not show the video. The family want the video released after seeing it.

?

I thought they want it released because they haven't seen it.

They might not have thought this through.

If we can assume the chief is somewhat level headed, which I don't know, and he has seen the video, and he thinks it would be embarrassing, would it hurt to wait a few days to find out?

It would be a shame if this guy's death ended up as a punch line in a video.

The family has seen the video. They do want it released.
If we can assume they are somewhat level headed, which I don't know, and they has seen the video (which they have), and they think it would be embarrassing, should it not be released now (as per their request)?

After all if the police chief is level headed and had nothign to hide why wait a few days?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
This "embarrassing" thing is a red herring. Koldfoot invented it as he often does.

I think it's understandable to wait until all the witnesses have been interviewed before making it public. I don't think that should take very long. It seems like Tulsa was able to do what they needed to get that rape released rather quickly.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Or the narrative does not hold water, so they can ignore it. Another one that is not looking good for the race baiters.

Open carry.

Brandishing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
This "embarrassing" thing is a red herring. Koldfoot invented it as he often does.

I think it's understandable to wait until all the witnesses have been interviewed before making it public. I don't think that should take very long. It seems like Tulsa was able to do what they needed to get that rape released rather quickly.


that's quite a typo sir
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Or the narrative does not hold water, so they can ignore it. Another one that is not looking good for the race baiters.

Open carry.

Brandishing.
And what do they mean?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife's cell phone video of the incident.

Breaking news that the chief says their video can't confirm the victim was pointing a gun or holding a book.

In an odd statement, the police chief now says "we are not sure the gun was loaded". How can they not be sure the gun was loaded after having it in their possession for 2 days?



And in light of our other video, NC is an open carry state so even having a gun isn't a crime.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Breaking news that the chief says their video can't confirm the victim was pointing a gun or holding a book.




Yeah, I think I read that book.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Video finally released and I cant tell if he has anything.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Quote:
#BREAKING: Sources tell Channel 9 dash camera video shows #KeithScott getting out car, coming toward officers with gun in his hand


Good sources
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Video finally released and I cant tell if he has anything.





I can say this much. His body language had zero 'threat' in it. Even if he was armed, with that many officers all aiming at him it was time for at least one of them to have the leadership to De-escalate. Back off, keep him covered, continue verbal exchange, keep control, but don't just kill a citizen you're supposed to be serving and protecting who isn't actually threatening you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.