Hide
9 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: How can solo be won? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard
msg tools
So in solo I have to bring the 3 parameters to their goals. That takes 19 steps for temperature, 14 for oxygen and 9 for oceans, makes 42 steps in total. How is that possible when I only got 14 generations times 2 actions = 28 actions available??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
msg tools
Oh ok, never mind. I now understand that I have as many actions per generation as I can afford, not just 2 ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry. Strangely, that's a common mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Justice
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I am the great Cornholio!
mbmbmbmbmb
And you'd think that'd make it a crap-ton easier. Alas, my solo win ratio is only a mere 37.5%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCapitan76 wrote:
And you'd think that'd make it a crap-ton easier. Alas, my solo win ratio is only a mere 37.5%.

Yeah, it's not easy. My win rate is 60%, but only 50% when using the full (and proper) CE game. In my last game I had to get 3 levels of temperature, 3 levels of oxygen, and 2 oceans on the last round. I managed to pull it off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Is it good to not ignore your economic engine in the early generations of the solo game, so you can more later on?

I've watched some videos where people didn't buy some cards that would get credit production going, and instead just focused on cards that would push for raising oxygen, temp and oceans (I know they also increase TR by 1 each). That seemed like a mistake to me ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Mythen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with you. From my play on the solo version, I think it's much easier to raise the oxygen & temp later on when you have more ME/resources coming in. I'd rather spend early on cards/projects that raise production rates, since those are really only going to benefit you if you buy them as early as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCapitan76 wrote:

What I find cool is that fulfilling the main goals "early" doesn't necessarily mean you'll earn the best score. I got my highest score in a game in which I barely managed to fulfill all the goals by round 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alder99 wrote:
Oh ok, never mind. I now understand that I have as many actions per generation as I can afford, not just 2 ;-)

Yeah.....made that Same mistake in my first two games. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.