Subject: Additional Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Kreais
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I trying to decide if I can play the original Dead of Winter with up to 10 players. I have 5 extra Player reference sheets because of the expansion, but would that mess up the balance of the game? It seems like most stuff is affected by the number of players (We'd need more food, more supplies for the Crisis Cards, and more zombies would show up) so I can't really think of a reason it wouldn't work...?

Except, running out of zombie standees which is an easy fix because I can use the expansion zombies to supplement the supply. Also, running out of location cards? I can supplement those too.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of? I am hesitant to throw too much expansion content into this game because the majority of the players are brand new. I don't want to overwhelm them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just think the game will be unhealthily long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
swYck wrote:
I just think the game will be unhealthily long.
+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Issues I can think of, aside from game length:

--I think the traitor mechanic would get off-balance if you had more players. It's going to be a lot harder to throw the game off as a single traitor with that many people able to contribute crises and do all the extra tasks that need to be done.

--With the morale track only going so high, and there usually only being a chance for 1 point of morale gain every round, I think it would be hard for all the players to not just lose from morale loss really quickly. More players = more deaths = morale drops fast.

--I think you'd have to keep a lot of people outside the colony so you could feed everyone properly and give players things to do, which would mean lots of zombies drawn to locations, which would mean a greater need for combat and weapons.

If the majority of players are brand new, that doesn't sound like a great first game. Maybe just split the groups up and have both groups play the vanilla game. You could even split the location cards up so that each location has a mix of old and new cards (the TLN deck is almost one-for-one the same types of cards as DoW, just slightly tweaked) and mix up the survivors so some are base game and some TLN. That way both groups are technically playing with TLN's slightly improved rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 10 players, you might want to wait for the variant/expansion that was recently announced that will allow two different Colonies to compete with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Gaudreau
msg tools
We have try a 7 players game with the 3 modules and it s become way too long
A round will easily be aroun 1h-1h20
Best way for you with 10 players is 5 teams of 2
Makes a nice dynamic with my group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Most locations have only 3 spots, meaning it's quite possible 7 players will be locked out of any given location. Seems problematic to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hatzav Namer
Israel
Hedera
flag msg tools
there is ofcourse feuding colonies:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136680/clash-colonies-feud...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.