Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is it morally questionable to buy games, play them a bit and sell them again? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Try More
msg tools
Hey,

Im going to buy new games at Essen, so I got rid of games from last year where I feel like I've played them enough.

Do you think its ok to buy games knowing you will sell them sooner or later? I mean you buy the product, so it's your own business what you do with it, but isn't the industry dependent on most people not doing that?

Just curious what your thoughts are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should look at the number of math trades and auctions that happen on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: Is it morally questionable to buy games, play them a bit and sell them again?
A: No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy a lot of used games. I absolutely want you to buy them and sell them to me...as much as possible. I can't imagine anything morally questionable about that.

Pete (is usually too cheap to pay the new price)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I buy a lot of used games. I absolutely want you to buy them and sell them to me...as much as possible. I can't imagine anything morally questionable about that.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any reason that you should be morally bound to support the boardgame industry. Perhaps it might be pragmatic for you to support the industry so that it will continue to prosper and produce things you want. However, I tend to think that the people who buy new games want to buy new games and the people who want to buy used games want to buy used games. It's possible that you are interfering with what would have otherwise resulted in the sale of a new game, but it also seems just as likely that you're selling a gamer who otherwise wouldn't have owned the game in the first place. And that gamer may very well go on to purchase expansions for that game new, or perhaps they will be so impressed with the game that they will but new copies as gifts that they may otherwise not have bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sold 70%+ of my collection. I should start doing math trades, but it's confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
Depends, are you paying your bills? Keeping your family fed? Being a good contributing citizen of society?

If not, yeah, you are being morally questionable.

Otherwise, enjoy, they are your property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't owe you my trust. You owe me your proof.
badge
This is my incredulous face.
mbmbmb
Trymore wrote:
...isn't the industry dependent on most people not doing that?

Not necessarily, no. As long as "enough" people buy new, there's no harm to a robust secondary market.

Imagine a housing market where you were expected to only buy new, or an automotive market where you could only buy new. The notion is ridiculous, and if anything, only buying new and refusing to sell is more wasteful than buying second-hand (and by extension, providing the materiel for that second-hand market). What do you do with things you bought new but no longer want or need? They would be an undue burden to an extreme, especially as you aged out of one hobby and into another, moved from one place to another, or got married (thus combining your spouse's horde with your own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you joking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting position. Obviously publishers & retailers dislike the practice. But does that make it unethical? Is ebay unethical? Are garage sales unethical? Pawn shops or vintage shops?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

I am not sure how you get to selling games your purchased as a morality issue unless you are viewing this from the point of view that you are wasting natural resources or that any form of materialism is inherently immoral.

I am curious how you got to the questions.

Why do you believe it would be immoral? Do you believe the creation of a secondary market for used goods is somehow immoral? I would say it is just the opposite as it reduces waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't owe you my trust. You owe me your proof.
badge
This is my incredulous face.
mbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Interesting position. Obviously publishers & retailers dislike the practice. But does that make it unethical? Is ebay unethical? Are garage sales unethical? Pawn shops or vintage shops?

Or thrift stores that run on donations, where the donor literally gets nothing in return and the store gets 100% of whatever price tag they put on your game (and the publisher gets nothing from either party)? Does that mean it's morally questionable to donate games to Goodwill? Or buy them from Goodwill, for that matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

+2

I also rely on people like you to support people like me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Interesting position. Obviously publishers & retailers dislike the practice.

If people were somehow forbidden from reselling games, I bet people would buy fewer of them in the first place. I don't think it's all bad for the publishers and retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

Or thrift stores that run on donations, where the donor literally gets nothing in return...

Well... not literally. The donor does get a tax break (at least in the US).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anymore than buying and selling your car?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

If people were somehow forbidden from reselling games, I bet people would buy fewer of them in the first place. I don't think it's all bad for the publishers and retailers.

That has essentially happened in the PC-gaming market, and yet, there's no signs that fewer games are being bought. In fact, PC gaming continues to break records.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fact of life that people sometimes no longer want the games they have. What would be the alternative if people couldn't resell them? They would sit on a shelf unused, or end up in the trash. Either one of those options is more objectionable than reselling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think half of us would even be as dedicated to this hobby as we are if we couldn't "turn around" games once we grew tired of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer

Herndon
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

+1

+1 here also. HOWEVER, let me hijack your posting and modify the question for you, since 95%+ of people will say NO to your question.

The actual question should be if it is morally questionable "from a gamer perspective" to buy games knowing you DON'T plan on playing them at all, but to sell them again at a higher price?

Similar to scalping tickets, many gamers buy games on Kickstarter just for the sole purpose of turning around and selling them on eBay and such. I imagine a percentage of those buyers perhaps buy duplicate copies, so the question might stand for those that are not buying the game to play, but the just sell them.

NOTE: implies "gamer" should stand on a higher moral ground than a person feeding typical supply and demand manifesto perhaps...

To answer my own question, I would still say no, but I certainly hate being the person that missed out on the limited available quantities at the store, or didn't back on kickstarter only to find out it took off like hotcakes later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Trymore wrote:
Hey,

Im going to buy new games at Essen, so I got rid of games from last year where I feel like I've played them enough.

Do you think its ok to buy games knowing you will sell them sooner or later? I mean you buy the product, so it's your own business what you do with it, but isn't the industry dependent on most people not doing that?

This is a question I have been thinking about a lot lately.

I have recently come to the conclusion that a lot of board games are like video games to me. By that, I mean my interest in them tends to have a short lifespan (6 months to a year). I really enjoy playing them during that span of time, but after that I'm not so keen on them and have moved on to other games. That is why my board game collection has dwindled to a handful of games with very few games on my want list.

I have decided that it is far better for me to own a dozen or less games that I really enjoy playing (the same is true of video games) then to buy a game play it for a year or less then have it sit unused in my closet or sell it. That means a lot less game purchases for me and a lot more going to the game store and playing games instead of buying them.

To answer your question, there is nothing wrong with it, but you could potentially save money by finding a diverse group of gamers where you would get to frequently play those games you would likely sell in a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
JosefK wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

That has essentially happened in the PC-gaming market, and yet, there's no signs that fewer games are being bought. In fact, PC gaming continues to break records.

I'm curious: is the average sale price decreasing, too? I don't do much PC gaming, but I look at this and think about people going overboard on Steam sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Detouring to the societal injustices of private ownership in 3, 2, 1....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trymore wrote:
Hey,

No.

I'm about as knee-jerk moral lefty as you can get. And still, no.

Not only is it your property, but you could make the argument that resales help boost sales. Player Bob says "Hey, I know I can sell this game later, so I'll buy it. (I might not have otherwise.)" However, we all know that Player Bob may not actually sell the game; that's just what he tells himself to give himself permission to buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.