Subject: Why No Love for New Dawn?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love the AtS Universe, so I was excited for this game as a possible TI:3 "light" game or something of that sort, but this game seems to be getting no love at all.

Why is that? Any suggestions for what I should pursue instead? Master of Orion? Exodus: Proxima Centauri? Or do I bite the bullet on the long time investment for TI:3?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to pick this up back in March for $20 but then sold it off a week or two ago for the same price. Some quick thoughts...

The four other people I played this game with did not find it particularly engaging, although they really couldn't explain why. To be honest, I felt the same way. Often when I am done playing a game I can look back at the strategies and actions of what happen and figure out why X player won or lost and what good strategies for the future might be. I wasn't really able to do that with New Dawn and in the end I sort of felt like I was going through motions and that luck of the draw was a significant factor. Turn order on the first round of the game seems very significant. Like most 4X games, your engine snowballs and the person who gets the best early start has a significant advantage. Since the start player gets his/her choice of the first location in the game, it puts them ahead. I think this game needs players who really want to engage in combat for it to shine. Most people in my group do not like combat games and lean towards medium to heavy euros, so games where you live or die based on die rolls are not our cup of tea. So maybe it just wasn't a good fit for us. For what its worth, I really wanted to like this game and gave it more tries than I normally would for a game that doesn't impress me out of the gate. And honestly, it isn't a bad game, its just not a great game. Hopefully somebody who really loves New Dawn will chime in an explain why it works for them.

Having said all that, I personally wonder if Star Trek Ascendancy is going to make New Dawn obsolete. The games have some significant similarities and the Trek theme is going to hit home for more people than the uncredited Babylon 5 influenced AtS universe. I've heard a lot of people say that Eclipse serves well as a TI3 light, but I've yet to play TI3 myself. However, for both games I've run into issues where die rolls, location pulls, and even the order techs get pulled from the bag have had major impacts on the outcome of a game, so maybe the 4X space genre board game just isn't something I'm destined to get along with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played this once (happens with many games in my collection), but I really liked the experience and the world of Among the Stars. If expansion is planned, wishlisting features:
* Support for 1-2 more players
* 8 New Ambassadors + miniatures for them
* More races (well probably happens if expansion is created)
* New mechanics: Alliances (gives some small bonus as long as in alliance), breaking them (negative VP) or winning as a team (average score of the two). So generally something similar to Eclipse's expansion.
* Modular and explorative board might be interesting, but not sure how it would work with New Dawn. Again something similar to Eclipse.
* Neutral races living on board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drop the dreaded ambassadors, the game only gains without them. There is a lot of positional fighting.

The real problem, though, is that everyone can arm themselves with reroll and more dice tokens. This makes the battle pretty random, assuming equal or similar amount of units fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
I like this game very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.