War of the Ring (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: What was your biggest rules blunder? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
When learning this magnificent game, most of us have had some pretty significant misunderstandings of the rules, resulting in what my gaming group calls "asterisk" victories.

Our biggest failing (and this is kind of shocking that we didn't read the full text of the card ) is that through roughly 30 playthru's we never realized that ents awake could be played in succession. We used to think they were nearly uselss, now that corrupt wizard dies almost every game.

What were some of your biggest rule related errors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was several games in (1st edition) before I realized the attacking player's action ends when the defender retreats into a stronghold (rather than fight a field battle). The Shadow won all of those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed after ~20 games that companions have to stop in Moria and can't just walk through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest rules mistake was forgetting to move a nation down the political track when a settlement was taken. This made it very tough for the free people to respond quickly to the shadow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My first game we totally forgot about some...though not all, of the black mountain barrier lines. Mainly the ones around Rivendell and Moria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
I noticed after ~20 games that companions have to stop in Moria and can't just walk through.

Huh?? Do you mean "Fellowship" not "companions"?

So...one does not simply walk through Moria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Companions.

P24: "...but must stop upon entering a region containing a stronghold controlled by the shadow player."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thinking that any roll in combat was a 'combat roll' and thus extending any bonus granted to the combat roll to the leader re-roll as well. This made several combat cards a lot more powerful if you had plenty of leadership in your army.

Edit: Great thread, by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
A lot. Here are a few of the worst.

1. Not counting the fellowship's dice for the eye tiles in Mordor.

2. Allowing WK to keep drawing a new card after after round of the battle.

3. Retreating with more than 5 units into a siege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Grandahl
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allowing recruitment anywhere on the board sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Porkins_ wrote:
Nicholas M wrote:

Methinks someone else missed this rule as well?

Companions cannot move through enemy controlled strongholds, so you cannot split off companions and race them to Minas Tirith through Moria.

I think the biggest error we make regularly is just to forget to move the Political Track when the SP attacks. But that's not a misunderstanding just something we often forget.

Our biggest single mistake that I know of is to forget you can only place as many Eyes as there are companions remaining in the Fellowship; I think it took us 2-3 games before we remembered this one reliably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Williams
United Kingdom
Rossendale
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Porkins_ wrote:
Nicholas M wrote:

Methinks someone else missed this rule as well?

Companions cannot move through enemy controlled strongholds, so you cannot split off companions and race them to Minas Tirith through Moria.

Ooops I did this one just last night (10+ games played )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you send companions to Moria, stop there that turn, and then use another die to keep moving them? Or you can't send separated companions into the enemy-controlled stronghold at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes I think you can send companions to a shadow stronghold and stop, then use another acton die or card to move them again, out of the stronghold.

Also, love hearing these rules blunders, I bet it will be helpful for some newbies to hear frequent mistakes from more experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Dahl wrote:
Allowing recruitment anywhere on the board sauron

This would make for an interesting game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Rafamir wrote:
Thinking that any roll in combat was a 'combat roll' and thus extending any bonus granted to the combat roll to the leader re-roll as well. This made several combat cards a lot more powerful if you had plenty of leadership in your army.

Edit: Great thread, by the way!

Thanks raf! I'm enjoying hearing these responses, so many of the threads lately have been either about release dates or customer service, I thought this would be a nice change of pace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 15+ games we realized that the military deck has two differebt types of cards ( army and recruitment). We used to play cards from the military deck without checking the symbol of the card to the card and to the dice respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Brakmann
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took us a long time to realize that, for the purpose of downgrading FP elites (either during sieges or just to take casualties), you can take the replacing regular from the casualties instead of the recruitment pool (if possible).

Used to drain the recruitment pool much more quickly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Treating Shadow to-hit numbers in sieges the same as in fortifications (i.e. 6s on first round only, 5s thereafter). Sauron was undefeated for several games before we fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here are a couple of more rules I misunderstood:

1. I thought if the attacker presses a field battle and the defender retreats the attacker has to take all but the rearguard (if he has one) into the now empty region.

2. I thought the defender could retreat into the attacker's region (provided there was no rearguard) or retreat into a previously conquered settlement as long as there were no guys in it.

Wrong on both counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Treating declaring the fellowship the same way as revealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Just to add another- I think in our very first play through, we didn't read anything about the mordor track. So Frodo went from Morannon, to step one and so on and so forth. We rolled for the hunt each time. Yeah... let's just say the ring was destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On my first game, we allowed the Shadow Player to move the ring-bearers when they are revealed. Frodo was soon revealed to be wandering towards the shire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McGee
msg tools
Using a number of dice equal to the Leadership for the Leader re-roll and not the unsuccessful dice used during the Combat Roll. For example, A FP Combat Roll would have 2 dice rolled for the Army Units, and 5 dice rolled for Leadership during the Leader re-roll. FP did fairly well during those games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Sandwich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Oh man, the political track.

I thought nations had to advance through each spot within the political track boxes, up to two steps per box depending on where they started.

The Dwarves and North were total bystanders, but the fellowship had an open runway as the rest of middle earth was stuck in quick sand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.